First Build: Les Paul Inspired Guitar

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been some time since I posted an update on my project... The main reason for this is that I redid the neck. I wasn't pleased with how the first one turned out. The neck had a dent in wood at the nut position, the tenon wasn't straight enough and I had to plane the top back so it would be level, which lowered the top to much... all in all, I was not a happy camper, so I put it down to experience and started over.

This time I knew what to look out for (e.g. what not to do) and now I'm very pleased with the way it is...

backoftheneck.jpg

But then DISASTER STRUCK!!! I put on the templates for the neck and headstock and started routing of the excess wood on my routing table. One moment of not paying attention to the direction the wood has to move (against the rotating of the router) and I had a major tear out at my headstock...

tearout.jpg

the picture is a little bit blurry as I was crying at the time.... :D

Of course I didn't like it one bit, but as this is my first build I guess these things will happen no matter how careful you are.

I really didn't want to patch it up (I already did that on another tear)... So I decided to see if I could change the headstock shape so it would fit in the wood I have left. I came up with the following design:

newheadstock.jpg

I went for a more symmetrical look and a little less pointy and aggressive... I think the tear-out is a blessing in disguise because I really like the new head shape... As that is the one part most of you guys weren't too thrilled about, I'm very curious about what you think about the new design (the original one can be found in the first post of this thread...)

Grz Arjan

Edited by ArieBombarie

I redid the headstock shape and I didn't use a router this time :D here's the result:

P6300258.jpg

Then it was time to shape the back of the neck... here's the result of that:

P6280254.jpgP6280253.jpg

It all turned out pretty good...

Ive already made a 3 mm Zebrawood veneer for the front of the headstock and a 1 mm veneer for the back. First I have to pre-bend the veneer for the back so it will follow the curve in the headstock... So that's next along with installing the truss rod and the truss rod fillerstrip...

Grz Arjan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So... hello there fellow guitar builders/lovers.....long time - no updates... What can I say? Winter came, I had other stuff to do... but I finally picked up where I left off.... which was the neck..

I put in the trussrod and put veneer on the front (3 mm) and on the back (1 mm) of the headstock.... here's the result:

P1010067.jpg

P6090045.jpg

Then I routed the tenon cavity in the body and test fitted the neck....

P6110057.jpg

P6110058.jpg

Grz Arjan