New! Acoustic Dred Adi/hondo Build

Ok, for those who live vicariously, ( including me:rolleyes: ) I have started a new build, (yes, just for you!) Maybe I can finish this one. I have some secret weapons: Thats a Martin Seconds guitar neck and neck block. Im also possibly using a Martin bridge. Im just looking at boxes for the next couple of years I think. These are standard dreds (Stewi Mac plans) but I'm sloping the shoulders a bit. Thats 10 mahogany sides, ready and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.... :D

One Red Spruce top (maybe adi?) and 2 White Adi tops.

The (new) mold needs some redoing, its too narrow for the steel on top. Grrrrr

img0560rd9.jpg

img0561ix2.jpg

Edited by GoodWood

excellent, looking forward to seeing your progress... Everyone uses those bending machines except me huh? :D

Steve's Guitar Making Part 4 - Sides 2 of 4

This guy used a piece of fence pipe, for nothing, and a blowtorch for a side bender, you gotta find it though, he has a lot of good tutes...His kerf jig sucks though.... I would also pre cut my sides.....:D

oh here it is

Edited by GoodWood

No idea. Its probably more difficult to do those long bends because atleast "my" curling iron is very thin and its difficult to get longer smoothe curves.

But for someone on a budget, who can't find pipe with a 3" diameter... ?

Any more opinions on this idea?

No idea. Its probably more difficult to do those long bends because atleast "my" curling iron is very thin and its difficult to get longer smoothe curves.

But for someone on a budget, who can't find pipe with a 3" diameter... ?

Any more opinions on this idea?

The second I say No, someone will chime in and say I did it. It will be a pain in the butt to try to use and achieve a decent result. You can make a basic pipe bender for a very reasonable price(home brew), if you must go that way. In the end investing in a heat blanket will be totally worth doing. It is easier to use, control, more reliable, can achieve super results(smooth, non distorted bends). That would be my recommendation.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a day. I got a 'new'-old plane, an 11" 5 1/4. It's in great condition, and the blade was nice and sharp, these are the ones to look for. It's worth the extra $10.00 to get a plane that was taken care of.

I am using this to thickness the tops way down, so the sanding machine is minimum. The plane was pure joy to work with, taking off nice shavingss of wood. The corners on the blade are rounded, so it really glides nicely on the wood, with little or no tear-out.

I would say that thickness sanding takes the fun out. This is really the way to go, you just need to be scary sharp. I am looking at a thicker blade, and I may tooth this one.

img0562tn6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, humidity is too high to work in the garage today, stuck the guitar in some plastic with a hygrometer, -so I decided to practice my jointing skills on some test top sitka. I have an old Stanley #6 or 7, its about 23" long, I put the new HOC blade in it. (My 'new' 5 1/4 is not square on the sides) But this plane is perfect square.

Ok, had some issues with the table top squareness or something, figured it out, grrrrrr, then I hit it pretty good, I kept taking the blade down on successive passes till almost nothing came out.

First time I did the light test, BOOM Nuthin commin through. Did it with the worklight, nothing. no shipe nothing but wood!!

Glued er up, now to do a 1.5 hour weight test, see how much it can take before she pops. :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got it up to 35 Lbs, without problems, creaking or anything. Im always a little leary about hand bending, but I'm worried about cracking the board when I bend this joint. 1 hr 50 minutes after glue up HHG. :D

wttestjuly08sitka35lbuy7.jpg

wttestjuly08sitka35lbfrmf7.jpg

Looks like I've got 2 or 3 years backsplice there! B)

Edited by GoodWood

squareness doesn't matter when using a shooting board, really. The joint halves mirror each other if you do it right.

And I'm with you on hand tools for thicknessing, as long as we're talking about guitar tops. And not about hardwood (let alone figured hardwood) back/side sets or levelling rosettes with funky wood and pearl. At that point I'll take my thickness sander, ta!