Sg-explorer Conversion

So a few months back I polled this forum about whether to convert an SG to an Explorer body style and got some good advice.

I'm not sure about the forum's policy on linking to facebook, but in any event here are some photos of the conversion.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=2&a...p;id=1314714324

Will begin wet sanding in about a week.

Edited by devnull

Well, interesting and kind of cool; not how I'd do it, but to each their own.

this kind of concerns me - is that a whole mess of wood filler around your set in piece? Seems like that's a place where you'd want a real nice join. (I'm probably just interpreting the photo wrong)

Looks real nice. Personally, I would have just built the neck myself though. Seems like a waste to destroy an SG just to keep the neck.

agreed %

The joint is very tight. The filler is there mainly to smooth out irregularities in the seam.

I considered building or buying the whole neck and all but I got this low end used Epi G400 (you could actually hear its tuning change as you waved the guitar back and forth) for less than the cost of a purchased set neck, and it saved me having to route any pickup holes or anything else.

I don't consider it so much destroyed as converted. I actually think I'll reuse the SG pickguard. You wouldn't think it would look good, but I fitted it on there and it looks kind of anomalous. We'll see.

Good comments, thanks folks.

The joint is very tight. The filler is there mainly to smooth out irregularities in the seam.

Good enough then. The quality of the rest of the woodworking and the fit on from the top seemed to indicate something else was going on, but I was still wondering. Just looked odd.

All in all, it's kind of a weird project, but you pulled it off really well. Looks very nice. Love white finishes too.

Good enough then. The quality of the rest of the woodworking and the fit on from the top seemed to indicate something else was going on, but I was still wondering. Just looked odd.

All in all, it's kind of a weird project, but you pulled it off really well. Looks very nice. Love white finishes too.

True on the wierd. Will update when final pics are ready.