Yellow Glue?

bluesy

Some tutorials and books I have read just refer to "yellow glue", and some mention specific products like Titebond, Elmer's Yellow Glue.

I can get Titebond, but local hardware stores mostly carry other brands. In particular, there's this glue which looks like a very similar product

259_t.jpg

Web site here http://www.triton.com.au/product.php?id=52

It is about the same price, and is a creamy/yellow colour. Seems like a glue intended for exactly the purpose. What do you think?

"Yellow Glue" as far as I know generaly refers to what is in fact "Alphatic Resin" glue. Which I believe Titebond is. Around my part of the world we get Alcolin Professional which is an Alphatic Resin "yellow glue". According to Alcolin it is the equivalent of Titebond.

Did some software work in their factory a while back and that is what they told me at the time.

Hope that helps

Keith

"Yellow Glue" as far as I know generaly refers to what is in fact "Alphatic Resin" glue. Which I believe Titebond is. Around my part of the world we get Alcolin Professional which is an Alphatic Resin "yellow glue". According to Alcolin it is the equivalent of Titebond.

Did some software work in their factory a while back and that is what they told me at the time.

Hope that helps

Keith

Yes it does. I have been doing some googling and reading, and I am sure this is an equivalent product.

One thing that it is hard to find data about is the life of the glue. I have heard that a glue joint made with white glue, for example, will only last about 10 years. I would like to think a guitar would last a lot longer than that :D

Fear and doubt will probably drive me to get a supply of Titebond, but I have a bottle of this Triton stuff to experiment with as well.

Some very well known luthiers like W. Cumpiano have been building with yellow glue for about thirty years now. My problem with yellow glue is that I can hear it, especially when the joint is not close fitting. Of course, I'm a professional piano tuner and I can hear all sorts of useless stuff. Yellow glue dampens sound audibly for me. Formaldehyde resin and hot hyde glue are much better sounding and dry as hard as glass.

• 3 weeks later...