My First Build, Something Different, Day One Results

Use a washcoat before staining. This will help stop the blotchiness and uneven absorption of the stain.

And buy Bob Flexner's book. :D

+1 on both.

If you want to stain or dye this, a wash coat with 1/4 or 1/2# shellac will help decrease the blotchiness. The shellac will also soak in and harden the wood a tiny bit. I used it before lacquer on a basswood body and it did wonders to decrease denting. Course I did more than wash coat with the shellac, I put on several coats, and while I wouldn't drive nails with it, it was pretty dent resistant when done. And shellac is easy to use!

Agreed, but shellac is easy, fairly non-toxic, and washes off easily with alcohol.

Want something really easy to try, Bluesy? Do a test piece with a wash coat of 1 part wood glue and 15 parts water. Let the wash coat dry and see if it stops the blotchies. Might work, might make things worse.

Regards,

Todd

Agreed, but shellac is easy, fairly non-toxic, and washes off easily with alcohol.

Want something really easy to try, Bluesy? Do a test piece with a wash coat of 1 part wood glue and 15 parts water. Let the wash coat dry and see if it stops the blotchies. Might work, might make things worse.

Regards,

Todd

Thanks. I was going to reply asking for clarification on exactly what a washcoat was, but I see my question has been answered by your reply and the others before it. That's guys, I will experiment on a test piece of wood.

I like the idea of hardening the surface against dents too...

Yeah, a washcoat is simply a super thin coat of finish. It'll sink more into the places that would have absorbed more dye or stain, so when it dries it evens out the absorption a bit.

Regarding shellac, remember that if you buy it pre mixed, it's much much thicker than 1/2#! I don't remember if it's 2# or 4# cut, but it's thick. Better to get flakes and a can of denatured alcohol. The stuff lasts for years unmixed, but only a few months mixed. On the down side, it's not the most durable finish when used alone.

There's lots of good info on shellac online, probably because it's so simple. Just flakes and alcohol. Same thing with glue sizing or wash coating.

Unfortunately, there's lots of BAD info on other finishes. That's why Flexner's wood finishing book is wonderful. He actually put the time in to speak with the companies, chemists, and also experimented and tested stuff before writing it.

Good luck,

Todd