Buffer

avengers63

Hmm... I use a 10", but principles should be the same. I always start with the terry cloth bonnet, damp and Mequiar's or 3M. Only caution - if it isn't all the way the cured, the heat will build up and dent like hell (ask me how I know :D ). Once I am satisfied that I see no swirls or lines from sanding, switch to Meguiar's #7 glaze with the polishing bonnet. Again, watch the heat, but be firm. I tend to keep a spray bottle of clean h20 nearby as if this stuff starts to dry to quickly, it may produce undesirable results. A little mist everynow and then lets you preview the finish while buffing. Sometimes, usually dark colors, I'll hit with just a thin layer of Meguiar's Gold Class Wax - VERY SPARINGLY. Not necessary, but seems to provide just a little something on the darks.

This afternoon, I bought a Ryobi 6" random-obiting buffer with a 4800 OPM rate. I want to buff my finishes to a mirror sheen with some Meguiars swirl remover, but I've never used a power buffer before. Any suggestions?

4800 RPM (what's OPM?) seems to me like its on the fast side. I buff at a much lower speed... like 600 RPM. AT 4800, it'll just melt the finish. Actually, even a standard AC motor that runs at 1725 RPM is way too fast.

Your buffer was probably meant for metal or something like that.

Do a quick test on scrap and you'll see what I mean. 4800 will dig into the finish and/or melt it.

[4800 RPM (what's OPM?) seems to me like its on the fast side. I buff at a much lower speed... like 600 RPM. AT 4800, it'll just melt the finish. Actually, even a standard AC motor that runs at 1725 RPM is way too fast.

Do a quick test on scrap and you'll see what I mean. 4800 will dig into the finish and/or melt it.

OPM = Orbits per minute. This is how the buffer's speed spec is stated and according to the Ryobi site 4800 orbits per minute is correct. http://www.ryobitools.com/products The orbits are the tiny circular movements it makes much like a random orbital sander.

[4800 RPM (what's OPM?) seems to me like its on the fast side. I buff at a much lower speed... like 600 RPM. AT 4800, it'll just melt the finish. Actually, even a standard AC motor that runs at 1725 RPM is way too fast.

OPM = Orbits per minute. This is how the buffer's speed spec is stated and according to the Ryobi site 4800 orbits per minute is correct. http://www.ryobitools.com/products The orbits are the tiny circular movements it makes much like a random orbital sander.

I just saw one of these things. I didn't realize it was a small hand held device. Personally, I'd just get a real buffer ( a motor, 2 pulleys, a belt and a couple of buffs).

No, they're still too big for that. If you want to power buff tight curves like that, you have to use one of those mini buff wheels that have a shaft for chucking into a drill.

Have not done the orbital buffer thing myself.

Anyone know if you can use one of those speed control boxes (typically used for routers) to slow down an orbital sander ?