Gotoh Hardtail Bridge Height

Hey all, this is a quick one. I'm trying to find out the height (saddle max and min) for this here bridge. The Gotoh website is being less-than-helpful, and I can't find any manuals or diagrams on it either. I like my fretboard to sit about 1/8" or so off the body, with the fretboard on top (clearly :D ), and I don't think this bridge will get me there. The .175" Hipshot bridge will, but Stewmac doesn't sell it, and I don't feel like paying $90 on a bridge. I'm not a bass player :D Any help'd be greatly appreciated.

In other news, the V is done, and I'll be assembling tomorrow! Super pumped!

Hey all, this is a quick one. I'm trying to find out the height (saddle max and min) for this here bridge. The Gotoh website is being less-than-helpful, and I can't find any manuals or diagrams on it either. I like my fretboard to sit about 1/8" or so off the body, with the fretboard on top (clearly :D ), and I don't think this bridge will get me there. The .175" Hipshot bridge will, but Stewmac doesn't sell it, and I don't feel like paying $90 on a bridge. I'm not a bass player :D Any help'd be greatly appreciated.

In other news, the V is done, and I'll be assembling tomorrow! Super pumped!

It is strange. I was trying to find out the height of various bridges I see on sale, and most sellers do not state the max and min bridge heights. Are they all built to some standard? Because if not, it's a rather important piece of info to omit.

The best site for including info and dimensions that I found is Warmoth, btw, but even they leave out this info, for example this vintage strat bridge that's similar to yours, but slightly smaller

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/pd...xed_Diagram.pdf

Isn't that Gotoh taller than the Hipshot? Or do I need more coffee?

It....... might be? The best measurement I can go off of is the bridge height itself, which is listed as .437" on the StewMac site. I'm assuming the saddles go higher than the bridge height, but how much is the question. The Hipshot 1/8" bridge has a max string height of .46", so I'm guessing that because the two numbers are so close together, the Gotoh bridge is the same height as the Hipshot. Hmm.... I might just try and find a cool wraparound TOM in black, even though I'd rather not have to recess the bridge.......

In any case, thanks for the responses, guys!

Schaller sells a hardtail (465?) that's pretty cool -- you can set the spring spacing, and the saddles lock. And it comes with an extra base plate if you like a taller bridge.

A wraparound is a different type of bridge -- they stand much taller and for that reason usually require an angled neck.

Schaller sells a hardtail (465?) that's pretty cool -- you can set the spring spacing, and the saddles lock. And it comes with an extra base plate if you like a taller bridge.

A wraparound is a different type of bridge -- they stand much taller and for that reason usually require an angled neck.

Yeah, that's why I'd rather not do a wraparound. Also, buying a strat would let me switch it out fairly painlessly with a Kahler if I decide to do so, later on.

I dunno which bridge you're referring to, Mick. Warmoth has the 475 and 756. The 756 is an all-in-one TOM /tail with fine tuners. Very cool, but I don't feel like recessing it, or spending that much :D

So I'm assuming you're talking about the 475 hahaha. Would I have to buy it direct from Schaller? Wamoth doesn't say anything about a removable baseplate.

I've been toying with the idea of just making my own base and buying some saddles to fit :D BlackMachine-style. But I'm not that confident in my woodworking abilities yet.

Hey all, this is a quick one. I'm trying to find out the height (saddle max and min) for this here bridge. The Gotoh website is being less-than-helpful, and I can't find any manuals or diagrams on it either. I like my fretboard to sit about 1/8" or so off the body, with the fretboard on top (clearly :D ),

So I guess you're saying the fretboard's base will be 1/8" off the body but you don't say how thick the fretboard will be. I usually have a 1/4" thick fretboard.

Have you drawn it out?

But of course I have. I was planning on either getting a fretboard from StewMac (rounded the measurement up to 1/4" just to be safe) or commissioning a neck. Taking into account fret height and action, I'd be looking at a 15/32" max saddle height, taking the measurements from my old Carvin. The .125" Hipshot bridge would be just a hair under this number, and I always like to have a LITTLE bit of wiggle room, just in case.

Well that was easy, but it's a bit of an odd measure because it depends on how little thread you're willing to leave in the adjustment slots and when you think it looks silly :D

So with the screws just a touch below flush with the top of the saddles, the height is .44. there's still .13 or .14" or so of thread left, but at .48" height, it's starts to look silly to me.

Hope that helps, but if I wanted it at .48", I'd probably put a .05" piece of wood or black plastic under it, screw it all to a board, and trim the pad to fit with an Xacto knife and then some sand paper.

So I'm assuming you're talking about the 475 hahaha. Would I have to buy it direct from Schaller? Wamoth doesn't say anything about a removable baseplate.

Yeah, the 475 is the one. I don't think Warmoth has anything to do with the plate--the bridge should come shipped in its own case, the plate is in that. I bought mine from a mail-order place in Germany.