to lock or not to lock

ovation22

to lock or not to lock  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just glued up some Alder last night for a body and am still in the planning stages for my first scratch built. I had been thinking Wilkinson with locking tuners, but am wanting to hear peoples opinions on trem setups. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the lock nut, because I like being able to quickly switch to an open tuning. Would a Floyd work with just locking tuners and regular nut? Opinions and ideas welcome.

The only reason I like lock nuts is: if you need to raise the action, its easy to unbolt the lock nut and shim it to the desired height. Cant really do that with a clasic nut. but if your building it your self, that probobly wont be an issue.

But with a tremolo and a regular nut, depending on how much you like to whammy, what gauge strings you use, and the type of nut, the strings can cut down the nut like a file.....Food for thought