Rocktron Piranha...Anyone?

Drak

I've had them both.I didn't care for the pro gap at all-no tubes.The piranha I used in my main rig for a year or so.Its a very good sounding pre-amp,the built in noise gate is an added bonus.I ended up replacing it with a triaxis and am very happy.I would probably compare the piranha to a jmp-1.The mesa has a bit more gain available,which I wanted.For what you can get a used piranha for these days,definitely worth it.

Thanks man.

I've had a PRO Gap (and a backup extra) for a few years and like it well enough. ALL my amps are tube amps, so I am kind of a tube snob, but that PRO Gap seems to do a decent job even tho it's non-tube, but I know it's sooo old tech now...I figured it was time for a tonal makeover mebbe.

I had a Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant (all tube) for about 7-8 years, and sold it last year (for a tidy profit too). Long story there...glad it's gone really. I've found that tubes aren't the answer 100% of the time (but I usually prefer them)

I was looking to buy a Pirahna, and they do seem to be a good deal used. I cover a wide territory music-wise, so I don't really need the absolute best 'heavy' rig out there (and the price that goes with it), just something that will come close enough when I need it for a good price.

Sounds like a Pirahna might be in my near future.

Thanks much.

I like the Pro GAP. It's got some good switching options and great midi control. It's not very versatile but I like to stick a compressor in front of my mine to really boost the input level, it can give a great metal sound when paired with a nice poweramp.

I use heads and cabs when I play live but at home I'm a real rack gear nut. I think rack stuff looks great and sounds great in a 80s kinda way.

If you have good effects, I'd try to track down a Mesa Vtwin rackmount. I used one for years before I graduated to a Dual Recto. It's a tube preamp, and you can record direct with it (I never did but you're supposed to be able to). It's knobs like a regualr amp and has individual channel swithcing cabilities. You can also turn on both channels at the same time and blend the sound. I always set it to 100% distorion, and used the blend volume as a solo volume. I've seen them sell on ebay for around $300-400.

Also the Rocktron Replifex has channel switching capabilities via midi. I use this still and it's a great processor for old school pedal sounds. I've seen these sell for $200-$350.