Quilted pomele veneer

Dan

1/16" of an inch is just about perfect. I was looking at physical samples today at a local WoodCraft retail store. Met a REALLY cool guy who just started working there, and he has been building and finishing guitars for 10+ years... he really knows his stuff. He has a BIG shipment coming in.. thuya burl, quilts, zebras, and he is going to call me when the come in and let me hand pick which one I want!!

After seeing the varying thickness of the actual veneer (impossible to gauge from eBay auctions) 1/16" - 1/32" is absolutely perfect. It is very pliable, bends very easy, and can definitely tolerate between 3-5 LIGHT sandings in between stains.

BTW. I am currently in the process of doing a project on an Ibanez 7 string RG7621 that I bought used. It was really beat up when I bought it, and the guy even carved some words into the back. I have the body completely stripped, and it is now in my garage with it's 4th coat of Sand/Sealer drying ready to be sanded with 320 - 400grit, and then painted with the BIN's white primer shellac.

Photos of the entire process can be seen here:

http://home.rmci.net/ampage/project

I also scalloped the fretboard from 21-24 and you can see that here:

http://home.rmci.net/ampage/project/scallops

I am not sure which veneer I am going with yet, but that is a long ways away, at least 7 days before I will be ready to do that. I am taking my time, doing this right, and allowing everything to completely set and dry, and being completely **** about sanding and getting the prepped product as close to perfection as possible. I think the key to a wicked looking guitar is all in the prep work of the body... that, and a LOT of patience!

That is looking sweet so far wOOt

Be sure that the front of the body is a little rough though when you glue the veneer on so the glue has plenty to get a grip on. The veneer itself should already be porus enough to hold the glue so no problems there......

That is looking sweet so far wOOt

Be sure that the front of the body is a little rough though when you glue the veneer on so the glue has plenty to get a grip on. The veneer itself should already be porus enough to hold the glue so no problems there......

I was going to lightly hand "scour" the top with several passes of 80 grit sandpaper using a sanding block to roughen it up, and give the glue a nice rough surface to adhere to. Do you recommend the Titebond II glue for applying the veneer?