The Paint And The Pickguard

hi, i am currently refinishin a peavey predator guitar (same body as strat) for a school project, i have sanded it down to wood, but i am not sure what type of paint to use, and as it is my first time i have no past experience could anyone point me in teh right direction of a type of paint (i live in england and mosto of the makes i have seen on other forums i cant find here...) and secondly, i am looking to make my own pickguard out of perspex i have already made a backplate and it looks really sweet has anyone made their own start pickguard and how did you do it !!! thanks fro any help ...

ProSchoolBoy

Pickguards are FUN!!! My approach is simple (like me B) )......

Strip the body and lay it on a flat surface. Tape a piece of tracing paper big enough to cover the are where the PG is going and draw your routed area on the paper, including the neck pocket. Then draw on your proposed PG design. I usually do something out of my own twisted mind. Pull the tracing paper and lay it on a piece of card board. Cut out the design and lay it on the guitar to make sure you like it. If it's to your liking lay the cardboard on your PG material and trace around it with a marker. I use a dremel tool with a cutout blade and cut the material about 1/8" outside the line and then use a file to get my final shape and 45 degree angle. You can also use the dremel with a 45 bit to do your final cutout (or a router) but I would recommend this only with a template. Since all of my PG's are different I don't bother with templates and use the old fashioned method with the file. When your design is cut lay the tracing paper back on it (remember you traced on the routed pockets) and layout your holes for your pups with a marker. It helps if you kept the plastic on the PG material so you don't have to remove marker lines later! Make sure they are square with the bridge and centered!!!! Cut them out with the dremel and the cutout blade carefully. Finish with a small file. I always have the pups handy so when I'm finish filing I can get a nice tight fit.

Drill your holes in the edge and use a countersink bit to finish them. Lay the PG on the body and either use a marker or an awl to mark your holes in the body. Pull the PG and drill your pilot holes for the screws and you are done!

It sounds like a lot of work, but usually take me less than an hour - unless I screw up! :D

Good Luck!

No, I have one but like I mentioned above unless you have a template they are hard to control (in my experience). The pg material is pretty soft and when you throw in a hunk of steel spinning at 10 or 15000 rpm's it melts and sticks and grabs and causes all kinds of problems. I find it easier to just cut it close and use a fine file to bevel the edge.

Filing goes quick and allows me to make small changes in the shape while I'm working.

i got the perspex from school, pink, green and orange. thanks fro the info about halfords, can i get the sand sealer there ? and does anyone have a template fr a strat pickguard that they could send me. thansk alot.

proschoolboy

THERE IS NORMALLY A HOMEBASE OR B&Q SOMEWHERE NEAR MOST HALFORDS. THEY SHOULD HAVE SOME. I'LL HAVE A LOOK FOR THE SCRATHPLATE TEMPLATE FOR YA. ANY ACCESS TO AUTOCAD?

WHERE ABOUTS IN ENGLAND ARE YA?

hey, thanks for lookin for that template, i was thinkin about going all the way around the trem unit, that would look quite cool, i could prob get onto autocad at school what would i use that for ? i live in leeds (the best part of the world, purely becasue im there) thanks alot. proschoolboy. oh yeah ..... how do i seal the wood before i spray it and what do i use ? thans .

I was going to e-mail you an AutoCAD template, so you could print it out. Unfortunately I can't find one!

If you do find one and need it printing out 1:1 scale, get in touch and I'll post it up to ya (on the work account of course).

I would tell you how to seal the wood, but I don't want to give you the wrong info. I'm sure you'll be told by one of the more knowledgable geezers soon.

Leeds then eh? Good football team :D

(Actually, I'm an Everton supporter so I can't really take the p*ss B) )

i cant find any pickguard templates but i have made my own so that will have to suffice, i have got my guitar down to wood now, and reallised how bad it really is, i think it is some kind of plywood laminated with mdf (wow, what a sound it makes!) my teachers have conflicting opinions about it, my res mat. teacher says that i should have stayed with the old paint and gone over it, my systems techer is glad ive hacked it to bits (litterally) what colour do you think (baring in mind i want it to look stupid) i was thinking spraying it orange, then putting circles of masking tap on it, and spraying it green , so it is green with orange spots with a pink pickguard and backplate (and the headstock is going to be lilac with yellow stripes!) and about leeds(what have they done tio themselves) i dont support football im a rugby fan! COME ON THE TYKES!!! B):D but everton...

I'm no finishing expert, but did you ever think of this. After the wood is sealed and grain filled (if needed), spray your base color with as many layers as usual. Let it dry, then spray a few clear coats. Sand that out tape off for the stripes, and spray the stripes over the clear. That way there's not much chance of messing up the base color with the tape. Finish the job as normal after that.