First Post, My Work In Progress

Hello there, im new to this forum so go easy. I have been building this for a few months now and just wondered what every one thought?

The body is of my own design, and is a 5 piece construction of Oak and Beech. The neck, which has been based on the Fender Jaguar bass neck (the bass I own and cherish), The neck is made from maple and has an oak strip and headstock sides. The multiwood piece you see there will eventually become my basses fretboard, and that is compromised of maple, cherry, beech and black american walnut. i personally have never seen any thing like this done before, so im eagerly awaiting it to be completed.

These pictures are not the most recent, it is a little further developed by now :D

All the hard ware is on its way and should be with me soon, and i have decided to use some EMG J pickups on the bass. will be posing more pictures up soon.

Cheers Ben :D

n517713084_573221_9586.jpg

n517713084_573222_4117.jpg

n517713084_573218_2778.jpg

Welcome...a lot of bass makers lately...

It is looking good...a jag bass must be a little rare...

I particularly like the fretboard, that should be a stunner. I don't know why someone doesn't take some of the bass makers ideas and apply it in the guitar, but it would seem that a lot of the ideas bass players use are a little more adventurous...look forward to seeing it progress...

pete

I particularly like the fretboard, that should be a stunner. I don't know why someone doesn't take some of the bass makers ideas and apply it in the guitar, but it would seem that a lot of the ideas bass players use are a little more adventurous...look forward to seeing it progress...

pete

We like to think outside the box :D

I do like the fingerboard though. I was also wondering why no one's done a laminate fingerboard in a long time.

Lots of glue joints in the fingerboard, which shouldn't necessarily be an issue, but might be if the joinery's not perfect, glue joints aren't spot on, and/or you have a truss rod that's not done with a fillet strip that applies pressure to the glue joints directly. Only issues I can really think of, and the reason I haven't done bookmatched fretboards yet - I may do in future, as the Allied truss rods are installed with a fillet.

It's a nice looking body and should be really cool looking. Just wondering how the walnut will hold up to being a fretboard. Are you planning on putting a clear over the board since you are using maple?

I will be coating the whole bass with a polyester laquer, which is tougher then PU (i am a proffessional sprayer also :D) and buffs up to the sort of finish you would find in a jaguar (car) walnut trim. I am also considering using nylon covered strings as well.