Js Build

Franco

Hi everyone, my first post.

I've been posting on Fender based forums for years, i enjoy modifying guitars but recently got involved in parts builds and i have found this site very usefull.. so i thought i'd join.

I have a reasonable collection of Fender guitars and am a big admirer of the Offsets. Because of current market value and my trade skills (joiner) i decided to build a Jag-Stang to my own spec.

Its taken me around 4 months to build some parts up including a 70's shortscale Fender Bronco neck but i have started with the body from scratch.

From a tonal point of view i prefer Mahogany, so instead of using Basswood like the originals i turned to trusty eVilbay for a 44mm slab of mahogany. The timber arrived so i set about using my original jag-stang to mark the timber out..

jsproject1-1.jpg

I dont currently own a 1/2 inch Router so i took the slab to a local Joinery shop and asked them to cut me the shape with their bandsaw...

link

link

I spent the rest of today labouring with a Spokeshave, sanding drums and sandpaper getting the edge to a decent finish. Tomorrow i plan to profile the edge with my small humble Router then route the control cavities and neck pocket. As for the tremolo system, the original had a Mustang tremolo but i am considering installing a Floyd Rose. Which fitting i presume will be the test.

The easier option is a Jaguar Synchronised Tremolo but it does not offer nowhere near the same range as a Floyd.

I shall update as the project moves along.

Any criticism or advice welcome!

:D

Edited by MiKro

Yeah i'm going for a clear finish. I quite like the finish on certain 'Patrick Eggle Berlins' where they use clear stain and wax.

I tried this on an old Japanese Flying V, a clear coat of Danish Oil then worked briwax into it using .0000 wire wool. It came up really nice.

The bridge is the tough decision. I'm using Floyd Roses again after some years and i have picked a Kahler version up (not surface mount) but i'm quite nervous of getting the measurements wrong. Especially with it being a shortscale, i know on a standard neck the measurement is 25" from the saddles to the nut. I suppose the easiest way is to take the measurements off my original JS.

Welcome to PG Franco...looking good...

I recently put a khaler on my tele and it really is fantastic...but expensive...

bluetelebridge.jpg

It has a similar range to a floyd but the routing is a lot easier leaving more wood in the guitar (no back routing or spring cavity). I use a LSR roller nut and locking tuners and the thing has remarkable tuning stability. The bridge will even lock to fixed making string changes and fitting it easier. I would imagine that it would be easier to install than a floyd on this guitar and be in keeping with the original look of the traditional bridge.

I am not too sure about the stud version on this guitar...the surface mount seems to be more appropriate. The non-surface version is really designed for carved top les pauls with a significant back angle on the neck...still "do-able" I guess.

Fitting and routing the thing is not too hard. Measure the thing at the bridge saddles and locate where the bridge goes...rout the 1" deep trem thing by drilling out most of the wood required and clean up with the router seemed easiest.

hope that helps...there is a big khaler thread pinned to the top of this section of the forum...

pete

I was unaware of that finish, and i'm looking for a clear oil finish for my current project, it sounds really interesting. Do you know where I could get some more info on this?

I think bridge wise, that the kahler that psw used on his guitar (It's one amazing guitar psw, if your reading) would suit the Js very nicely. But Ive never worked with, or played on one, so I'm really just talking about looks here, but if you already have a floyed style, use it. It's hard to make a bridge look bad on that body shape.

Thanks all.

The project is on a budget (are'nt they always?) so purchasing a Kahler is'nt really an option. Although i do have a Kahler on my Jap Strat and i do like it.

Someone off another forum gave me a Floyd Rose so that will cost zero money but may send me grey fitting it :D

I also have most of the parts for a Jaguar Trem but it is a limited system by comparison to be honest.

I'll try to find more info on the oil/wax finish, its quite some time ago i restored the Flying V so i may have got the information from an old Guitar magazine.

The project has moved on a little. Considering i have limited workspace unless i work outdoors, i'm quite happy with the way things are moving on. I did hit a minor disappointment yesterday though, i somehow made my jig a few mm too big on the neck pocket route. So the neck is not a tight a fit as i would have liked. Still, i think i can tidy up the excess wood and as long as i line everything up on the trem/bridge there should'nt be any issues.

jsproject5-1.jpg

link

Edited by MiKro

Day 4

Some further progress after the trem decision.

1/ Edges routed/rounded off

2/ Trem cavity routed (for Synchronized Tremolol)

3/ Neck pocket tidied up

4/ Marked out ready for bridge cups and neck plate holes.

Just waiting for the bridge cups to come from GPR then all the main work will be finished. It will just be a case of finishing it, then the electronics (again, some of this stuff is on order).

*Edit: may do a rib contour yet, not sure.*

jsproject8.jpg

I must have missed the tremolo decision!? I thought it was a choice between a kahler or more likely a floyd.

Of the fender designs, the synchronized was one of the less successful and has some cult status, but is nothing like a floyd and can have inherent tuning problems if used for more than a wobble. Still, if you have routed it the decision is made and it will be a little more authentic...

An alternative that I have no experience with and an update of the bigsby is wilkinson's "Wigsby" made in Korea...

bb87_1.JPG

It still needs a roller or rocker like bridge to go with it and it is certainly no floyd, but another interesting alternative "style".

As I say though, the synchronized has it's fans for light vibrato and may be more in keeping with the fender style and the original guitar.

Edit: may do a rib contour yet, not sure

I like the curvy look of the rib and arm contours on a strat, even though my main squeeze at the moment is a non-countoured tele...with a guitar this small it wouldn't matter and a decision you need to make with the guitar in your hands really and how it will look with the wood and under light. Too flat and it may look a little too "home-made" and unfinished...too curvy and it might look like a sucked lolly!

pete

Ah, sorry i jumped off the Floyd idea so quickly. I got the Floyd on saturday and placed it on the body. It conflicted with the body shape, quite disappointing. But the Jaguar trem compliments the body shape which i'd suspected.

I have'nt mentioned this but i am a Fender Jaguar user and own a '64 model along with a few others. I have also contributed to websites and Wikipedia on Fender Jaguar set up. So i know that system well, and yes it aint no Floyd Rose but i would say it is more stable than a standard Srat trem once set up. Superior to Bigsby type systems as well imo. The bridge is designed to rock with the strings and it is optional if you set the trem tension screw for up pull or not.

foil1more- check out bands like Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine to hear the extent of that tremolo system in use.

Anyway. Thanks for the contour advice Pete. I think a rib contour is a definite but if i do the arm contour i will be sparing with the ammount of timber i remove.

An alternative that I have no experience with and an update of the bigsby is wilkinson's "Wigsby" made in Korea...

bb87_1.JPG

It still needs a roller or rocker like bridge to go with it and it is certainly no floyd, but another interesting alternative "style".

PSW - never seen that one before - might be just what I need for a build I'm contemplating. Still poking around, but I haven't seen that in the usual places. Any link for a supplier?

bc18_1.JPG

I found it here...ebay link...A$89 but you probably need to look for a more local supplier...it is made by wilkinson under license apparently.

The picture above shows the similarity to the jag trem in that it needs routing unlike a real bigsby and is quite different. As I say, no personal experience, but an interesting alternative and an interesting look for the right guitar. It also appears on some italian brands and may not be that great...who knows, in principle it is sound and for an occasional wobble to chords fine, but I wouldn't expect floyd, khaler or even strat like performance from it.

Sorry to hijack the thread...I have a strange fascination for some of these kinds of devices.

pete

Hey franco...to get back to the topic...have you considered perhaps a different pickguard? The white is a bit much to my eye but a tortoiseshell or even metal might look better against a natural finish and tie it all together...,just a thought!

Hey franco...to get back to the topic...have you considered perhaps a different pickguard? The white is a bit much to my eye but a tortoiseshell or even metal might look better against a natural finish and tie it all together...,just a thought!

White was my least favourate choice to be honest but JS parts are a bit thin on the ground (in the UK) and this came up at a nice price. As the project develops its all running over budget lol so i suppose the option of buying some blank scratchplate and cutting one myself should'nt be ruled out.

I agree on tort, but i think black would look too 1970's in this case.

No...black wouldn't be too good...I'd be tempted to update the pickguard anyway, I was never fully convinced about the pickup switching and placement...still that is personal. The lower horn of the guard does look a little too pointy on this one and could use a bit of tweaking :D

As an alternative (and possibly a shameless plug for the gotm telecaster :D )...I have been making things out of this stuff...

bluetelebridge.jpg

The pickup surround was made from 1.5mm aluminium sheet from the hardware store...cut mostly with a hand nibbling tool that literally takes little sqare bites out of the stuff. So, with drilling, files and nibbling away you can make even complex shapes pretty easily. I used self stick single ply tortoise shell of the type used to make acoustic guitar scratchplates...alternatively, as I did here between the stripes, you can lightly sand the aluminium surface and get a cool looking brushed effect. If you wanted to get weird, you could even get a dremmel burnishing thing and make circular patterns or swirls in the metal finish. A matt-ed up aluminium like this seems to bring out the chrome even more on this guitar, even the chrome screws holding it down!

I really want some multiply tortoiseshell myself for some back plates on another guitar but it is sooo expensive and so am likely to try some similar aluminium things as this is very cheap by comparison and not as hard to do as you might think (aluminium is pretty soft and you won't risk cracking it like plastic). It also has the benefit that if you ground it, makes an all over shield to help any noise problems potentially.

something to consider...

pete

I dont currently own a 1/2 inch Router so i took the slab to a local Joinery shop and asked them to cut me the shape with their bandsaw...

You don't need one. There's no question that they're more stable than a 1/4" model, and they commonly have more power, but you can do all you need to do (for a guitar) with a 1/4" router.

A bandsaw, however, is a bit of a necessity. :D

You don't need one. There's no question that they're more stable than a 1/4" model, and they commonly have more power, but you can do all you need to do (for a guitar) with a 1/4" router.

A bandsaw, however, is a bit of a necessity. :D

I cant get enough plunge for the pup routes, i suppose i could have looked into a longer straight flute bit :D

Ah well, i purchased a 1/2" now (It will come in handy at work as well). A bandsaw is totally out of the question, this is my workspace B)

jsproject7.jpg

B)

The guy at the joinery shop said he would use a Router without hesitation. Better finish, more accurate and less sanding afterwards. I'll give it a blast on my next project.

Anyway, i decided to do the contours today...

link

link

I'm not much keen on the Ally idea Pete, tort is about as adventurous as i will get lol. Thanks anyway.

Just a friendly reminder. One picture per post except in the "In Progress and Finished Work Finished. Thanks! MK ;)

Edited by MiKro

contours are looking good...

jsproject10.jpg

Just throwing out ideas for you...another would be to get some nice timber veneer, layer it for a laminated guard look if you like...or not!

White could look just fine with the pickups and such and a finished timber...

pete

contours are looking good...

jsproject10.jpg

Just throwing out ideas for you...another would be to get some nice timber veneer, layer it for a laminated guard look if you like...or not!

White could look just fine with the pickups and such and a finished timber...

pete

Thanks pete. I knew that spokeshave i bought 6 years ago would come in handy one day :D

Things have move on a little more. I've applied the Danish Oil and the first coat of BriWax, so this is pretty much the colour it will be. Extra coats will just give it more shine and a harder surface.

I've mock put it together with the parts i have (still waiting for pots, switches, etc.) and i've got mixed feelings on it at the moment. The finish is quite light for Mahogany and it has a 'Yamaha Pacifica' look about it, the TOM is a permanent feature but i wont keep gold on (obviously). The excellent sounds of the Toronado once again influenced this decision.

The mistake on the neck pocket has been the main gripe, it has caused problems further down the line and looks far from tidy. Still if it plays well i'm not too concerned.

The other gripe is waiting for parts or having to order from the US, it really is annoying especially when you have limited time to work on the project.

Here are a couple of pics to bring us up to date...

jsproject11.jpg

Does the neck look off line to anyone else or is it just me? :D