Laser Printing/scotch Tape Logos

Prostheta

As per Jehle's tutorial on the main page of the PG site:

Hey all - just wondering if anyone has had a particularly "transparent" experience with a particular brand/type of tape. I'm experimenting with waxy label backing paper through three types of printer at work; our HP Laserjets, OKI 5250/5600 LED printers and Sharp MX1800/2700 colour laser copiers. With any luck, I can get a good quality print lifted from the wax paper onto the sticky back of some adhesive tape.

Now, which tapes seem to have the best results in terms of easy-to-bury-in-clear-ness, invisible-edge-ness and general transparency? Thanks in advance.

As far as general transparency, scotch makes a type of tape that I think is called crystal tape or something like that. The stuff is probably the clearest stuff I have seen (better than packing tape). As far as easy-to-bury-in-clear-ness and invisible-edge-ness, I am not sure. No previous experience there.

i personally used ink jet transparencies and it was crystal clear however it didn't really satisfy ur second condition. it gave me a very hard time covering the edges and then i made a mistake and simply sanded its surface a bit and it ended up in severe scratches that were obviuos even after clearing again so you might wanna make sure you clear coat it high enoguh to be able to level sand and still not reach the transparent paper. if it wasn't for the scratches it would've NEVER looked like it was a sticker! so i'd say go for it but finish off with some thick lacquer like polyu or something.

Edited by Sami Ghouri

I managed to find some sweet invisible 3M tape at work which is both lightweight and transparent when applied. I'm going onto a white surface for the first logo, so this should be the easiest to acheive. The paintwork is arctic white with a final poly clear over the top which i'll use to bury the tape. Plenty of opportunity to try this out a few times, so i'll see how it goes and i'll post results. I might do a few logos using our colour laser and see how that works out :-D

DUDE! if by arctic white you mean that flashy, perfect A4 kinda white, then STEER CLEAR FROM POLY! (check out my post titled very annoying problem)..... i'm gonna have to redo the whole guitar because the poly clear turned it BEIGE!! it's not even off white anymore!!!! it's closer to brown than white! and i barely finished a can!

make sure you test ur poly on a scrap piece finished with teh same white to check for the shade..... god i hate poly for what it did on that guitar =( i'm considering minwax polycryllic for now, i'll see how it turns out! heard it gives a bluish hue to it....

u're a pretty experienced builder and i'm a noob thouhg, so i might be wrong but that's the response i got from many others regarding poly over white..... so just be careful bro!