Smoothing A Tru-oil Finish

Ripthorn

I am in the process of applying the tru-oil finish to my bass and it is achieving a really nice shine. The only thing is that after each coat dries, the surface has some very slight bumps, like maybe due to dust or something like that. I have been trying to knock it down with 0000 wool between coats, but I am getting close to what I would think would be the end, but I am still getting these little imperfections. I was wondering what others have done. I read on the LMI website that one could use micro mesh or 0000 steel wool on it, but I wanted to get others input before I do anything. Any input from anyone who has used this before would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have pictures, as the bumps aren't really visible, the only way to tell they are there is to feel them. I have tried to look in several different lighting situations and can't see them. They only annoy me when I run my hands back and forth over the surface.

WezV, are you saying that this is common and after a good cure it won't be a problem to get rid of it? I hope so. I think I might give that a go.

My last couple coats, I start with 800 grit, completely sand the body, then add a coat. Let that dry sand it with 1000, add a coat, let it dry. 1200 1500 2000 etc that way everything gets good and leveled out then after then last coat I use the previous, in my case 2000 grit and sand again.