Hardtail Jazzmaster

lscott

Nice colour and idea...not sure about the scratchplate...

The while looks good, tortoiseshell would look good too with that colour. What I am missing is the chrome control plate and I think the selector switch is a little too close to the edge...

Looking good though...have you a jazzmaster neck...will you be finishing the headstock face to match?

pete

Nice colour and idea...not sure about the scratchplate...

The while looks good, tortoiseshell would look good too with that colour. What I am missing is the chrome control plate and I think the selector switch is a little too close to the edge...

Looking good though...have you a jazzmaster neck...will you be finishing the headstock face to match?

pete

You might be thinking of the Jaguar pickguard.They have some chrome on them.I actually have a celluliod tort on the way .I'll probably use this scratchplate for a sonic blue I'm about to start.

Yeah...I think you are right...

With that colour, a tortoiseshell guard would look stunning...

A good painted finish is still a wonderful thing...there is often the need to display the material in anything made of wood and to get really exotic in the materials...but a good painted finish like this is not easy to do (do you have spray equipment?) and can open up even more variety. Often wood finished guitars are various shades of brown...typically, if one were to choose a paint finish, brown would not be everyone's first choice (even if this cream is kind of close)...

Did you make the body, or is it a bought one? What about the neck...what are you looking at there, a traditional jazz master look?

pete

BTW...watch the pic posting rule...is it one or 4 in this section per post? Anyway...multipule posts, multiple pics!

Yeah...I think you are right...

With that colour, a tortoiseshell guard would look stunning...

A good painted finish is still a wonderful thing...there is often the need to display the material in anything made of wood and to get really exotic in the materials...but a good painted finish like this is not easy to do (do you have spray equipment?) and can open up even more variety. Often wood finished guitars are various shades of brown...typically, if one were to choose a paint finish, brown would not be everyone's first choice (even if this cream is kind of close)...

Did you make the body, or is it a bought one? What about the neck...what are you looking at there, a traditional jazz master look?

pete

BTW...watch the pic posting rule...is it one or 4 in this section per post? Anyway...multipule posts, multiple pics!

I just used the Reranch rattle cans for the finish and The Guitar Mill did the body.The neck is just a 21 fret small head strat.I'm having the nut installed and an overall set up done today.The pickups are Curtis Novak.JM-90 in the bridge and a vintage JM in the neck.I'm going to use the parchment pickguard on a sonic blue build.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work mate! Gotta love the fluid lines of a jag or jazzmaster hey! Top job!

P.S I think the white pickplate looks great. It will be interesting when you put the tortoise shell plate on. Make sure you post up a photo for us.

I would keep the white pickguard. To my mind, tortoisshell would become the main "color" of the guitar, whereas that color is so beautiful, I would rather keep it as the "main color".

Have you set the intonation on that bridge? It looks a little choppy. :D

Great work - not too enthused by the hardtail as such, but it looks a stunner! Entering it in the GOTM contest, perchance?

I quess I should actually read the forum rules before I post my life's work in pictures.Sorry about that.The hardtail has certainly recieved mixed reviews.The purist over at offset guitars are plotting my death :D I have loved the JM body style forever my playing style just conflicts with lack of sustain and funky tremolo.

I would keep the white pickguard. To my mind, tortoisshell would become the main "color" of the guitar, whereas that color is so beautiful, I would rather keep it as the "main color".

Have you set the intonation on that bridge? It looks a little choppy. :D

It set up like a charm and the intonation is perfect which can be tricky on a hybrid style build.BTW what is the GOTM?