Making A Very Shiny Clearcoat Not So Shiny

pariah223

Hello..

I had an idea, and i dont want to try it until i confirm it. I have a guitar that is natural wood with nitro as a finish. I went through the motions of wet sanding and buffing to a mirror shine. I have never really been a fan of ultra shiny acoustics and was thinking of ways to dull the finish down to a more matte, natural look so it doesnt look so plastic like. Is there a way to do this? I was thinking of wetsanding something like wetsanding with like a 2500 grit and then not buffing it out, but everything i know tells me that is a bad way to approach it. Like i said, i would just try it, but i dont want to mess with it until i know its something that people actually do. Thanks!

Hello..

I had an idea, and i dont want to try it until i confirm it. I have a guitar that is natural wood with nitro as a finish. I went through the motions of wet sanding and buffing to a mirror shine. I have never really been a fan of ultra shiny acoustics and was thinking of ways to dull the finish down to a more matte, natural look so it doesnt look so plastic like. Is there a way to do this? I was thinking of wetsanding something like wetsanding with like a 2500 grit and then not buffing it out, but everything i know tells me that is a bad way to approach it. Like i said, i would just try it, but i dont want to mess with it until i know its something that people actually do. Thanks!

Even 2500 wetsanded is shiny from the right angle. I can get 1200 grit to look glassy at the right angle. :D So yes trying to remove the sheen try it on an obscure place. worse case is you don't like it and must go up some grades and polish. Otherwise downgrade until you find what you want. Most likely nothing less than 800. But I would suggest that you polish out each graduation to make sure. Funny How a satin finish can be polished and yet satin. just depends on the angle you look at it. *00 grit polished hsa a great sheen and dull with no reflection and grain still there and a glassy look at about 40-degrees perpendicular.

If you are not sure try some test pieces.

Just .02cents worth.

MK

BTW I use that technique on cabinets. I use a Gloss finish and back sand, then buff it out. Makes for a more natural finish, good grain clarity, and finger smudge resistant from the looking eye. :D Works great in the kitchen. Just a another tip from and old cabinet maker.

Edited by MiKro

Hello..

Yes it can be done this way to good effect. I've used exactly that technique (though not on a nitro finish) and it came out a really gorgeous finish. Basically all I did was leave the guitar at the stage of being (very thoroughly) rubbed down to 2000 grade wet and dry - and the feel of the guitar was beautiful. The only thing about doing that is that your lacquer coat needs to be near enough perfect for it to be successful. Polishing inevitably hides 'very' small imperfections in the finish, so if the guitar is already polished then taking the shine off it again will mean rubbing down until the satin finish is absolutely perfect - or you'll end up with tiny 'shiney' flaws in your otherwise beautiful satin finish. I was also advised after I'd done this that a very, very fine grade wire wool was another way it could be done, don't know if that would be a better solution?

The other thing I did discover finishing this guitar that way, was that over time and lot's of use, the back of the neck naturally polishes itself up again, but still looks and feels good.

Jim