Distortion box

funkle

While not strictly a distortion stomp box device, y'all should check out the V-Stack. Listen to the clips on the "SAMPLES" link. I couldn't find sound clips of the "King of Tone" on it's website so I can't compare. I liked the sounds that the analog V-Stack produces... in constrast to all the different DSP's (POD, V-Amp2, etc.) "sameness" (which admittedly still sounds pretty good.)

While not strictly a distortion stomp box device, y'all should check out the V-Stack. Listen to the clips on the "SAMPLES" link. I couldn't find sound clips of the "King of Tone" on it's website so I can't compare. I liked the sounds that the analog V-Stack produces... in constrast to all the different DSP's (POD, V-Amp2, etc.) "sameness" (which admittedly still sounds pretty good.)

Not to bad sounding.

Man, for tube tone I just love my Yamaha DG80 modeling amp. This is the only modeling amp that i've heard that sounds decent to my ears. Both Frank Gambale and Allan Holdsworth are using this amp now, and they both have decent tone :D . There is a pre-amp/effect box version of it.

My approach to signal processing is to really good rack gear for time based effects, tone and noise reduction (all in moderation!), combined with either amp tone or stomp boxes for distortion. I like stomp boxes for adding specific effects like vintage analogue flangers etc.

Yeah, I almost got one of those DG stomps when they were $169 at MF. When I was ready to buy, the price jumped back up to $299 :D. I think Yamaha discontinued them and are now making the MagicStomp.

They've stopped making the DG line, but they're still widely available on eBay. I hear Yamaha is developing some new amp products that should be killer.