Ash Prs W/ P-90s

We thought the one on the right was the winner too. FWIW: The middle had no black stain at all, the right & left both did. The left was sanded back more than the right.

TEST FIT

wip21.jpg

wip22.jpg

wip18.jpg

wip19.jpg

And for those who might be interested, here's how I did the input jack. From the last progress report, you can see that the hole didn't fit the contour. I'd still rather it not have happened, but it worked out OK in the end.

wip20.jpg

I gotta say this - I'm getting better at this. Everything lined up perfectly the first time. I'm quite pleased. :D

Now I disassemble and start the staining process. Tonight is the conditioner/wash coat. Tomorrow is the black. MAYBE Wednesday will be the green, but maybe not. We're having the family over for Thanksgiving, so I'll most likely be doing a lot of cleanup. I've kinda destroyed the basement and it needs to be clean for everyone to come over on Thursday.

Have you thought about grain filling with black epoxy and then doin' a green stain? that should accentuate the grain better. Just a though.

1) Don't have any. 2) No experience with it. 3) Not spending any more money on stuff like that right now.

It's not a bad idea though. :D

Edited by avengers63

I started sanding back the black stain before I took some pics, so the front was half sanded at this stage.

wip23.jpg

wip24.jpg

That black stain is really unforgiving of all the minor scratches and less-than-perfect sanded areas. :D That just means more between-stain sanding I guess.

wip25.jpg

wip26.jpg

It actually looks pretty good as-is. In a little bit, I'll do the green stain. I'll have some pics up when it's all on & rubbed in real good.

While it was all put together I strapped it on. It IS pretty comfortable. I haven't wired it up yet, so I still can't say what it'll sound like.

I was having some issues with the green stain today. It was really blotchy. I'm afraid I may have sanded through the conditioner/washcost. I may have to sand it all the way down and start from scratch.

I decided to sand it back and start over. The green got real blotchy and just didn't look good. So I took some 120 grit and went to town on it this afternoon and something pretty cool appeared. The black is still in the deepest parts of the grain, but it's highlighted with green. It shows up just a little bit in these pics, but it's really evident in person.

wip27.jpg

wip28.jpg

This is why we need to be fluid in our designs and plans. Neat things like this happen totally on accident. I'm going to clean up the sanding and leave it like it is. There are some places with some green left that really should be sanded "clean". It'll be a matter of sitting down with some sandpaper and meticulously going at it by hand. I think in front of the evening football game tonight sounds like the perfect time. :D

After that - lacquer. Then again, the shellac made for a really nice finish on the Avenger prototype. Maybe I can lay it really thick and buff it out to a mirror finish.

I decided to sand it back and start over. The green got real blotchy and just didn't look good. So I took some 120 grit and went to town on it this afternoon and something pretty cool appeared. The black is still in the deepest parts of the grain, but it's highlighted with green. It shows up just a little bit in these pics, but it's really evident in person.

wip27.jpg

wip28.jpg

This is why we need to be fluid in our designs and plans. Neat things like this happen totally on accident. I'm going to clean up the sanding and leave it like it is. There are some places with some green left that really should be sanded "clean". It'll be a matter of sitting down with some sandpaper and meticulously going at it by hand. I think in front of the evening football game tonight sounds like the perfect time. :D

After that - lacquer. Then again, the shellac made for a really nice finish on the Avenger prototype. Maybe I can lay it really thick and buff it out to a mirror finish.

That looks really cool, so I agree with leaving it clean like that.

• 2 weeks later...

wip29.jpg

It's all been buffed out and polished up. The shellac shined up really nice.

BUT....

Before I post any pics of the whole thing, there's a problem. I triple-checked the wiring, and it all looks right, but it isn't making a sound. Here's a couple of pics of the wiring cavity. PLEASE tell me what you think it might be.

wiring1.jpg

wiring2.jpg

wiring3.jpg

Hardware

right angle 3-position switch

1 volume pot

1 tone pot

mono output jack

2 P-90 pickups

From the angle of the pics, here's what's going on:

Hot Wires

Bridge pup wire runs around perimeter of control cavity. Lead wire to bridge pole of 3P switch.

Neck pup wire runs behind 3P switch. Lead wire to neck pole of 3P switch.

Both pup wires are held down with black electrical tape.

Interior poles of 3P switch soldered together. Attached wire connected to pole 3 of volume pot.

Pole 3 of volume pot to pole 1 of tone pot.

Pole 2 of tone pot to cap to back of pot.

Pole 2 of volume pot to outer ring of jack.

Ground Wires

Outside braid of both pup wires to volume pot case.

Ground pole of 3P switch to volume pot case.

Pole 1 of volume pot to volume pot case.

Volume pot case to tone pot case.

Bridge to tone pot case.

Tone pot case to inner sleeve of input jack.

So.... what's wrong?

Hey avengers. Try guitarwiring.com they have got all the different ways to wire up a guitar with 1,2 or 3 p/ups.

Here is a link to the two p/up page:

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/c=7STWh...ickup_diagrams/

Just look for the options that suits you and click on the red description and a wiring diagram will pop up.Hope this helps.

If it doesn't make any sound in ANY of the 3-way toggle positions, then you have a short circuit to ground in the signal path from the switch to the jack.

Check for wires that may have dented and could be shorting to ground.

Check that the braided wires are not shorting anything along their path. Specially around the exposed blades of the switch.

For this configuration I usually wire it differently (to minimize the risk of braid short circuits:

I run the pickup wires directly to the switch, and wrap the braid of both together with some normal wire that I solder to the grounding lug of the switch.

I try to keep these wires short. If you don't want to cut them just coil them and wrap them in the empty space of the cavity where they will not short to anything.

Then from the switch lugs I run the hot and ground wires to the volume pot, and then wire the tone pot and jack as usual.

I don't quite like that long pickup wire going all the way around the cavity. That is a potential cause for short circuits, and even ground loops.

Hope it helps.

BTW: the black and green stain really came out great !! And good idea about the jack. Is that a Tele type jack in there ??

I got the sound issue figured out. The hot post on the jack was touching some shielding. Once I dug it out everything came to life.

And good idea about the jack. Is that a Tele type jack in there ??

Thanks. Yea, it's an electrosocket. Recessing the jack was a total mistake. :D After I rounded the edges, I drilled for the jack hole. When I drilled it out, the edge was thinner than the diameter of the hole. Once it was done... Well crap. Too late now! All that was left was to smooth it out and make the jack fit and look as good as possible.

I'm working my way up to the All Access Neck Joint. I had to look that one up. In reality, my hands are so big I don't have ANY issues with a thick neck heel. I can't argue that it'd look better, but I just don't need it.

And I'm hoping you're meaning For The Win, not F*ck The World. :D

Edited by avengers63