Some Photos Of Another Project....

Hi all!

Here's some photos of another project I've had going for some time. (I'll try to stick to the 2 pics per post rule)

This particular guitar has become my test mule for every time I think of something daft to try, poor wee beastie.

It started life as a humble Washburn WR150, like this:

PC300099.jpg

(Yes, I know it looks like an RG.....most of my stuff does!)

So, anyway, I wanted to retrofit a Floyd bridge. This necessitated inserting a block to accomodate the new trem rout shape:

04-04-07_1316.jpg

This was cut out using the large CNC milling machine at work.

Of course, converting a non-locking nut style neck into one which has a locking nut presents it's own problems. Here's what I did with this one:

PC230092.jpg

And I couldn't resist setting it all up to test it:

PC240109.jpg

That's a DiMarzio Evo II in the bridge BTW (big Vai fan!)

Everyone thought it looked really good in white primer, myself included, and it stayed like that for months: until the bug bit again........

The reason it remained in white primer was because I always wanted it in a swirled finish. But I couldn't get a result I was happy with. Then, I thought "I wonder how easy it would be to make monkey grip??", so:

P8230033.jpg

I made one. (It's actually really easy)

Then I needed to get the guitar primed again. So I took it to my local garage, and he primed it. But when I went to see it, he said "Errrr, there's been a reaction......"

PA110131.jpg

Oh. That's not right. But......

happy acident i suppose... it looks scarred

Yup, kinda unusual finish.....as my wife said "It's very you" I took that as a compliment, even if it wasn't necessarily intended as one!! :D

Next thing you should do is clean up that neck/fretboard or make a new one for it.

The neck is nice to play, and that's just polish residue on the fingerboard in the photos.

Or do you mean the nut?

I have no plans to change anything about the neck for now.

I like the way that finish ended up. It's only too bad that they couldn't get the cracks to fill all the way in. But still, looks good.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what the guy who sprayed it for me said too, but I think I honestly prefer the extra depth in the cracks. When you see it in person it adds to the effect, maybe the camera doesn't really capture that.

The spray guy wanted to keep going with the sanding and coating until he got it totally flat cos that's what he's used to doing. I told him I quite liked it with the 3D surface. Also, he worked on it for nothing, so I didn't want to take advantage of his generosity!