Best Height For A Buffer?

I'm putting together a buffer. What height works best? I can put them low, and work the guitars over the top, or chest height and work them vertically. Any preference on what is most comfortable? I will have plenty of clearance from the motor, that's not a concern. I'm planning on double 10 or 12 inch buffs on each side. 2 1/2 ft axel with pillow blocks on a 1 ft wide base.

Oh, and what speed? I can reduce or increase the speed, any suggestions?

I picked up a nice motor with pully and a 3 step pully and some pillow blocks. All I need to do is fine a reasonable source for the buffs. I have a grinder stand to mount it all onto, but it seems very low. I was thinking chest height, but I've not used one before so thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

-John

I'm putting together a buffer. What height works best? I can put them low, and work the guitars over the top, or chest height and work them vertically. Any preference on what is most comfortable? I will have plenty of clearance from the motor, that's not a concern. I'm planning on double 10 or 12 inch buffs on each side. 2 1/2 ft axel with pillow blocks on a 1 ft wide base.

Oh, and what speed? I can reduce or increase the speed, any suggestions?

I picked up a nice motor with pully and a 3 step pully and some pillow blocks. All I need to do is fine a reasonable source for the buffs. I have a grinder stand to mount it all onto, but it seems very low. I was thinking chest height, but I've not used one before so thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

-John

You never want to work the guitars over the buffer.

Work from the lower end to help avoid the wheel from throwing your body (or whatever) to the other side of the room.

I mount my buffer so the wheel is slightly above waist high.

For me, this height allows me to have the best control and is most comfortable.

Thank you. What size pully do you have on the axel and the motor?

-John

I have the StewMac buffing arbor ...

It's been awhile since I set it all up, but I believe I used the largest of the three pulleys on the axle and a 2" pulley at the motor.

That would mean it runs fairly fast - about 2x the speed of the motor if I'm thinking about this right.

Anyone deal with http://www.caswellplating.com ?

I'm thinking about getting the buffs there, reasonable price and they seem to know what they are talking about.

Thanks again.

-John

Thank you. What size pully do you have on the axel and the motor?

-John

I have the StewMac buffing arbor ...

It's been awhile since I set it all up, but I believe I used the largest of the three pulleys on the axle and a 2" pulley at the motor.

That would mean it runs fairly fast - about 2x the speed of the motor if I'm thinking about this right.

Anyone deal with http://www.caswellplating.com ?

I'm thinking about getting the buffs there, reasonable price and they seem to know what they are talking about.

Thanks again.

-John

Ah, you're right ... I'm sorry. :D

I used the smallest pulley on the axle, and 1/3hp motor, 1725rpm, and a 2" motor pulley.

I use a "universal" floor stand and built a platform to mount the arbor and the motor assembly.

I also used an adjustable "power twist" V-belt.

Those things are great!

I can snap a few pics if you like. :D

Also, don't forget to put some of that padded flooring stuff underneath. It wasn't long ago a member at OLF lost the grip on his guitar and it was shot into the ground and heavily damaged. Another member mentioned to add some padded flooring underneath the buffer. Similar or same to the interlocking flooring that relieves stress on your back and knees. Good idea all around, but particularly a lifesaver when some accidents happen. J

DGW.

A pic or two would be great. Thanks for the offer. I have a 1/2 hp motor and a three step pully for adjusting the speed. I just ordered two 3/4 inch pillow blocks. I can pick up 3/4 rod locally. I was just going to put a couple of blocks under the pillow blocks to raise the height a bit and provide clearance for the pully. The motor already has a small pully, all I need is a larger one for the shaft.

I am looking at ordering 6 - 8" buffs, and fine and extra fine compound.

I will level with wet sandpaper to 800, then buff with the fine and extra fine. Should do it up nicely.

I've been using rubbing compound by hand. It's much to labor intensive. I think I spent about 3 hours rubbing out the finish last time, after 1000 grit and I'm still not happy with it. I'm not a perfectionist, but it's just too much work that way.

-J

DGW.

A pic or two would be great. Thanks for the offer. I have a 1/2 hp motor and a three step pully for adjusting the speed. I just ordered two 3/4 inch pillow blocks. I can pick up 3/4 rod locally. I was just going to put a couple of blocks under the pillow blocks to raise the height a bit and provide clearance for the pully. The motor already has a small pully, all I need is a larger one for the shaft.

I am looking at ordering 6 - 8" buffs, and fine and extra fine compound.

I will level with wet sandpaper to 800, then buff with the fine and extra fine. Should do it up nicely.

I've been using rubbing compound by hand. It's much to labor intensive. I think I spent about 3 hours rubbing out the finish last time, after 1000 grit and I'm still not happy with it. I'm not a perfectionist, but it's just too much work that way.

-J

I'll try to get some pics up tonight J~.

I used to do it all by hand too ... what I PITA! :D

jmrentis,

Good tip on the padded flooring!

I've never lost grip of a body yet (knock on wood), but ya never know. :D