I Had This Idea..

I dreamed last night a fix for my Squire Tele Bridge setup. What if I installed a .015" shim under the plate there to take out the buzzing and dead fretting? I love the neck action on this Tele. It's almost as good as my old LP. I have made no other mods to this guitar as of yet but I have plans. What say you, gentlemen.......

It might come as bit of a surprise, but we can't actually see into your dreams. So you're going to have to be a little more specific about what's going on with the guitar.

Obviously if the guitar is buzzing, then the action is too low. Doubtful putting a shim in there will help it. Sounds more like you need to adjust the relief of the neck. That might allow you to keep the action closer to where you like it.

As for the dead fret thing, that's something else entirely.

How about you raise the saddle height screws a further .015", that's what they are there for!!!!

Have you had it's neck off? Very often there is a thin shim in there, even from the factory...it only takes a slither of paper to make enough of a neck angle to be multiplied many times over by the distance to the bridge.

You may want however to look further into the dead fret and buzzing. There is a limit to how low you can go you know...especially on a standard squeir. Most likely there is some neck bend (check it with a straight edge or fret the first fret and the last fret with two hands and check it out) which could be corrected with some truss rod adjustment...then saddle adjustment once fixed. And~Or, the frets need to be dressed.

Pete

Although shimming up the bridge may well work, it doesn't tackle the heart of the problem(s).

Without knowing your skills and experience levels, I'll politely suggest it would be a better idea to go through the normal setup checks and procedures first:

The neck action that you love is possibly too low, if you're experiencing fretbuzz.

Would it be correct to assume that you can't get the string action low enough for your taste without fretbuzz?

Make sure your truss rod is adjusted properly obviously.

Check that the neck is straight by looking down it from the tuners end.

Check for loose or high frets.

Check that the neck is bolted on tightly.

Check the height and shape of the nut, and the depth of the nut slots. Are all the strings equally bad, or is one string noticably worse?

A fret dress would almost certainly help. This involves levelling the tops of the frets, then reshaping the flattened fret tops back to their original shape, finishing with repolishing the frets. Not an amazingly complicated job to do yourself, but it's kinda daunting for the first-timer!

Just some thoughts!

DJ

I Had This Idea..,

I had one of them once...went away of it's own accord...

Use software...you get to play games where you shoot things while your typing. Works much better.

hahaha...you crazy americans, always with the shooting, shooting...have not the french taught you anything MG?

So... the secret to my typing skills is to post often and post loooooong!

Now thinking while typing...that's an art I have yet to develop...but the secret is not to worry about the flow!

Meanwhile...see first post for appropriate responses...

200px-Typingofthedead.jpg

That's amazing...too cool...I can just see all those japanese kids out typing the zombies...

I'm just jealous I had to teach myself after university with an old manual typewriter...only to discover a year later the PC was actually going to take off and I had to invest heavily in 5~1/4" discs...speaking of which, I have a box of a thousand of them...anyone got a use for them...make a guitar out of them...any use at all?

Ohhh...I know...if I cut them up they would make perfect .015" shims...ok!

I also have a bunch of 1/4" tapes...I don't suppose anyones uses those anymore...I really have to chuck some of this stuff out!

Hey yah! This neck is as "in tune" as it will ever be. Ok so, I don't want to change the position of the saddles, I like them where they are. Adding .015" will work 'cause I went ahead and "did it". The dead fret, is just a little above the neighboring frets fore and aft, so I'll need to attend to that but the buzzing is gone. Thanks guys.

I'm just jealous I had to teach myself after university with an old manual typewriter...only to discover a year later the PC was actually going to take off and I had to invest heavily in 5~1/4" discs...speaking of which, I have a box of a thousand of them...anyone got a use for them...make a guitar out of them...any use at all?

Im not sure what they use then for but our IT dept at work still uses them

I kinda find that amusing for some reason.