In Progress - Black Limba Lp Bass

Black Limba topped LP shape bass with 30k pups. The pix are show it as it sits right now with a quick assemble to double verify all parts fit. I'm rather uncertain about this one - one of those... "seemed like a good idea at the time" guitars.

limbabass3.jpglimbabass4.jpglimbabass5.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? It's going to get a few more coats of tung oil, just wanted to get a few previews up.

If that's a graphite nut, and your strings are going to be going in those directions, then i believe you're running the risk of snapping your nut in half, or breaking the pole points. Just make sure you string one string at a time. Other than that, that's a pretty sweet lookin' bass!

And Snapping Nuts in half is never a good thing :D ( sorry man had to)

I agree that is a nice bass

:D :D

If that's a graphite nut, and your strings are going to be going in those directions, then i believe you're running the risk of snapping your nut in half, or breaking the pole points. Just make sure you string one string at a time. Other than that, that's a pretty sweet lookin' bass!

And Snapping Nuts in half is never a good thing B) ( sorry man had to)

B)

I like it!

:D :D

And Snapping Nuts in half is never a good thing B) ( sorry man had to)

B)

I like it!

*smacks forhead* yeah i walked into that one, lol

Ok.. no broken nuts yet... (at least from this :D )

Updated pic (minor finishing mods)

limbabass6.jpglimbabass7.jpg

Yes, that's a solid maple butcher block table it's sitting on. 140 lbs of maple in total with a nice walnut stripe. Metallic blue highlights are part of the paint job (only really shows when there's bright light). The bottom strap peg is apparently not dead center (not sure how I did that)

hmm...That table sounds like a good guitar project to me

Haha! Exactly. I mentioned that as a joke one time to the bride (her father made it) and it was not received well :D It's about 2 1/4" thick with 2 3' extensions and 2 4" wide "legs". It is indeed a beautiful chunk of wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Just updating this based on comments from the GOTM thread.

I called it the "Ugly Stick" after my favorite fishing rod. It's the first gear I grab when going fishing, and after playing this one, it will most likely become the first one I grab for playing because it blends well with a dark stage. I'll admit, I could have done a better finish (it is kinda... "ugly"). I was trying out the tung oil finish on this because I wanted to keep the grain visible, but have a reasonable level of protection - especially on the slight burst. The idea was "comfort".

I love the HUGE pickups in this thing - they have an amazing range of sound and are wired to 250k pots with a .047cap on the tone. The pickup "rings" are some ultra-thin vinyl I had for another project. In the future, I'd much rather use something like MOP, but again, this was an experiment.

Thanks again for the comments!