Guitar-design4.jpg

Neck through construction... alembic style

Body - sandwich - cocobolo maple cocobolo

Neck - cocobolo and maple racing strips

Pickups - seymour duncan 50's set single coil

Tuners - Gotoh 510 chrome

Bridge - Fender style Schaller roller bridge

Fingerboard - cocobolo,,, inlay??? to be determined

It'll be my first neck through guitar and the body will need a 1 degree angle for the bridge if I do my usual 1/4" fingerboard height.

The design is based on carl thompson shape with alembic wood choices and style.

Edited by guitart

This looks like a very cool project. If I may just offer a word of warning though- putting cocobolo next to maple can be a real pain in the butt to sand. The cocobolo bleeds like crazy- and the maple will turn orange. Even after BATHING the cocobolo in acetone/etc- it will still bleed. I am not sure if this will show up or not once I post this picture- but here is a Carl Thompson copy I made while it was in the sanding stage- the center block is cocobolo on the front- and striped maple on the immediate left and right of it- it has turned orange in places. I ended up scraping it and getting rid of just about all of the orange - but what a pain it was.

If you want- email me at goooge@yahoomail.com. I can send you a piece of cocobolo and maple and you can see for yourself. You may (or may not) change your mind- or even consider putting some sort of dark wood "buffer" inbetween the maple and cocobolo. I am not trying to kill your idea -it is very cool- but believe me- it is a PAIN to sand. I read on the old bunnybass archive (no longer active) where Ken Lawrence did a cocobolo/maple bass and swore he would never do it again.

IMG_6533.jpg

I used adobe illustrator to layout everything at size. I have the bridge, volume, tone, 5-way switch and neck all measured out on other layer in the program.

I brought what I needed into photoshop to render the mock-up. I may need to add pickup rings and that might change the way I shape the surface contour. I'll try to post a drawing of the pickup ring soon.

I don't understand why you need to do veneers on a pickup ring to mae them stronger. They're not exactly holding the guitar together.

That having been said, I like the look of the pickup rings a lot. Very old world, almost Victorian design. But your mockup looks just as fine without rings.

I like to sculpt the pickup rings and by layering them they are easier to work with. The sides get so thin and flimsy that if I didn't layer them they would just break, I learned that the hard way.

Anyway, I was at the local guitar shop today looking for pickup covers, which they were out of, and I got to looking at the other guitars that have single coil pickups and how they mounted them.... I think I will just rout out the cavity for them and mount them to the bottom. At least that way I can still contour the body the way that I want. What do you all think?

Cool shape. It's one of those things that I think always looks a little weirder on paper than it will in real life. I'm not a huge fan of the exposed neckthrough, but that's just me. I prefer the top cap covering it, keeps the thing from looking to busy, but it's just personal preference.

As far as keeping the cocobolo from staining the maple, the answer I've found when putting maple next to dark coloured woods is to get really good a using a card scraper. I find it easier than sanding anyway. Keep blowing your shavings away and you'll be fine.

I'm not a huge fan of direct mounted pickups with traditional single coils, as the size and shape of the cavity always look weird to me, with the extra space to account for the mounting ears and the "tab" on single coils where the wires come off of. It's a little bit nice with more "modern" single coils like EMGs where the that extra bit on the bottom is gone, but still looks funny to me. But I feel like on an already busy guitar, the rings might be too much.

Look forward to seeing this one.

Yesterday I bought some more wood for the guitar. Got some nice quarter sawn bubinga which I will use in the neck and body sandwich. Two strips of bubinga will be used between the three cocobolo strips on the neck. The maple will still be on the sides. For the body the bubinga will go between the cocobolo and the maple as an accent line. On Monday I'll make another concept drawing in photoshop.

Here's the revise that shows the added bubinga and true to scale neck strips.

Guitar-design42.jpg

I think I found a way to mount the pickups with out having to rout out an open area for the wiring.

I'll pre-rout the sides of the neck before attaching the wings. This is where the wire portion of the pickup will slide into.

So from the top of the guitar all you will see is the pickup and its screws. I'll have to make a mock-up and see if it works.

I think I found a way to mount the pickups with out having to rout out an open area for the wiring.

I'll pre-rout the sides of the neck before attaching the wings. This is where the wire portion of the pickup will slide into.

So from the top of the guitar all you will see is the pickup and its screws. I'll have to make a mock-up and see if it works.

That'll work. I did it on my second build, which was a neckthrough. Nice and clean :D Just make sure you tape off the channel when you glue it, much like a truss rod, so you don't get any glue filling up the hole.

I'm looking forward to seeing this rendered in actual wood, or at least 3D. The lightness of the inner sandwich makes the waist seem a bit anorexic. Should be fun to carve out, though. Lemme tell you, that is one aspect of a build I simply don't have the patience for. Hence my overuse of router bits!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...