Polishing

angussg

I am currently using maguiers swirl free polish. Is this something that takes several uses to get a good shine ( i am polishing by hand)?

What did you use up to that? I just finished one with a Maguires swirl remover and it turned out great. I went to 12k with micro mesh and I used a soft cotton cloth dipped in mineral spirits to apply. One application for this one.

Steve

In me experience, the three major factors that can mess you up at this stage are:

#1 your sanding/polishing in the prior stages was not good enough. As you move down the grits, you need to completely clean off the instrument between each grit, otherwise you continue to make scratches from little bits of the larger grits that you haven't removed. Also, at each grit you need to make sure you have removed the scratches from the previous grit.

#2 the substrate you're using with the Maguiars is not good enough. It might be causing scratching itself - I use the StewMac foam pad chucked into a drill for this stage, with the drill sitting in a vise so that I can hold the guitar with both hands. If I'm doing it by hand, I use a cotton T-shirt. Whatever you're using, you also have to be very careful to not contaminate it with dust or any other abrasive grit - I keep mine in a clean Tupperware box in a drawer, and from Day 1 I have used it only with Maguiars swirl remover and nothing else (no cross-contamination with other grits).

#3 your finish is not hard enough to get a "dipped in glass" buff-out. This can happen if the material is just too soft (for example, Tru Oil can be buffed but not quite as hard as poly), or it was thinned with the wrong material (never thin with mineral spirits...), or it hasn't cured long enough to harden completely.

what exactly is the process for this and where can i find meguiar? i live in ohio. i have been reading dan erlewines "guitar player repair guide" and he says to use compound #2 after a 1200 grit sanding followed by #9(swirl remover) and then onto the #7 glaze. if i use micromesh papers up to say 12000 grit can i skip any of the above steps? also i found a pumice and rotton stone combination --anyone use this? i dont know what works best since im having a difficult time finding the meguiars. i apologize for the thread steal.

"your finish is not hard enough to get a "dipped in glass" buff-out. This can happen if the material is just too soft (for example, Tru Oil can be buffed but not quite as hard as poly), or it was thinned with the wrong material (never thin with mineral spirits...), or it hasn't cured long enough to harden completely."

So if i were to use brush on poly (minwax) could i get a hard easily buffable finish? (sory i dont know how to quote :D

Edited by angussg