Removing Binding?

Workingman

First thanks to all who have directly or inderectly helped with my current project, an lp style Electra resurection.

I am planing on putting a veneer on the top as the current top is badly scared and I would like to have a nice wood grain top. I have been advised that it would be a good idea to remove the binding. What would be the best method to do so? Thanks

once you get it started it pulls off pretty quickly. if you dont want to damage finsh score around the binding first, if you are stripping in then no worries.

If you can get in the neck pocket its a good place to start as you can pry a little off from there and start pulling, basically find somehwere that cant be seen

if any snaps off, chunks remain or its being particularly difficult then get a bit of gentle heat on it with a hairdryer

if its old and celluloid it will be brittle and probably shouldnt be heated.. most modern stuff is fine though

once you get it started it pulls off pretty quickly. if you dont want to damage finsh score around the binding first, if you are stripping in then no worries.

If you can get in the neck pocket its a good place to start as you can pry a little off from there and start pulling, basically find somehwere that cant be seen

if any snaps off, chunks remain or its being particularly difficult then get a bit of gentle heat on it with a hairdryer

if its old and celluloid it will be brittle and probably shouldnt be heated.. most modern stuff is fine though

Thanks, it is a set neck so I won't be able to get at the neck pocket but the binding is damaged by the input jack and I will start there.