Side Panel Shrinkage

I've read that to bend the sides of a acoustic guitar into shape you have to steam them first. Doesn't that cause some pretty bad shrinkage issues over the life of the instrument?

Yes, - Sometimes Drednoughts do shrink eventually into OM's or 000's. Thats where they come from..,If you use too much water, they can shrink into a Mandolin. :D

I've read that to bend the sides of a acoustic guitar into shape you have to steam them first. Doesn't that cause some pretty bad shrinkage issues over the life of the instrument?

You dont steam bend sides. Bent with heat maybe a little water, dampened. No they dont shrink ????

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, - Sometimes Drednoughts do shrink eventually into OM's or 000's. Thats where they come from..,If you use too much water, they can shrink into a Mandolin. :D

It happened to my mates double Bass. he now uses it as a violin :D