First Build

Hey, new guy again. I'm building an alder solid body electric. I'm to the point that I have cut the body out, started sanding, and am beginning to map out the locations for pick-ups, etc.

Here is my build list so far:

1 Piece alder. Cost: 12 pack bud lite to guy at shop

Poster board for template design: .97cents @ Wally world.

Sold my wood shop tools years ago to finish our basement. Went to local Vocational School with a box of munchkins and the instructor cut out my design on his band saw (liability wouldn't allow me to.....) Does anyone have a list of pros and cons for neck types (tele or gibson style?) I like the gibson style so far. Scared to notch the neck pocket, don't want to shank it..any tips? I have a plunge router.

Ahhhh, the things we do in this tough economy.....When there's a passion for guitars, there's a way...haha. :D

Scared to notch the neck pocket, don't want to shank it..any tips? I have a plunge router.

Hey John! Fellow newbie here. The best way in my opinion is to measure the distance from the outside of the router bit to the end of the base and than clamp a piece of wood that distance from the line you have marked for your neck pocket. Then you have a little guide set up so your line will be straight. Hopefully that made sense. You could also make a template out of any hard material and use a template bit (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_flush.html) to guide you. Hope everything pans out for you. Sounds like you have a good start to your project.

-Marshall