Neck Repair Question

I had a screw break off deep in one of the mounting holes on a guitar neck. In order to retrieve the piece of the screw, I had to drill the neck hole out, larger than it was meant to be. Then using a Dremel, I slotted the top of the screw fragment and just "unscrewed" it from the neck.

Now I'm left with an enlarged hole mount in the neck. I was thinking of drilling the hold considerably larger and using a dowel and some Titebond to repair the hole. Would that work best, or would filling it with a 2500-psi epoxy be a better idea? Any ideas/comments appreciated. Thanks,

-Roger

Slotting the fragment was an inspired move! I'll have to remember that one.

I beat my head against the desk for a while to think of that one! I have a lot of fragment extractors from many years of working on engines, but they were all WAY too big to retrieve the broken #10 screw.

What really torques my beanie is that I was almost ready to start installing the hardware and wiring the electronics. This little setback is gonna take a few days (and a crapload of four-letter words) to sort out.

vv09.jpg

Gettin' there...

-Roger

the problem with dowels is that the wood grain is going the wrong way (usually the length of the dowel). Get yourself a plug cutter so you can cut your own dowels from a scrap of maple with the grain going the right way. a 10mm plug cutter with matching 10mm forstner drill bit will take care of it good and proper