What Do U Guys Do?

i changed my design a little and was wondering, what's the "trick" to keeping the treble side of the neck colinear with the body where the neck becomes exposed along the joint.

(i.e. a fender strat)

do you guys route the body joint pocket first, and then the body profile, using a template that matches the edge of the neck (treble side)?

or the profile first and then the pocket?

this illustration should make it more clear.

strat.jpg

thanks!

Edited by madhattr88

I route the body shape first, then the pocket with a template. As long as it's a tight neck pocket, everything turns out fine with a little sanding once the neck's bolted on.

Edit: Just saw the pic you added. The bolt-on I did has the body running a little further up the treble side of the neck rather than ending at almost a 90 degree angle as it is in your pic.

pickup_cav_1.jpg

Edited by Rick500

I route the body shape first, then the pocket with a template. As long as it's a tight neck pocket, everything turns out fine with a little sanding once the neck's bolted on.

Edit: Just saw the pic you added. The bolt-on I did has the body running a little further up the treble side of the neck rather than ending at almost a 90 degree angle as it is in your pic.

pickup_cav_1.jpg

do you clean up the edges then? to make them even? if so, how? sandpaper? file?

If the template is right, they come out darn near perfect. Just some sandpaper to clean up.

Edit:

You're talking about the bit below the neck pocket though... I see...

I just made the neck and body template so that that part of the body has the same line as the neck.

Made the neck template first, body template second. (Or I might have made the body template first then adjusted it to the neck template; don't remember.)

Edited by Rick500

If the template is right, they come out darn near perfect. Just some sandpaper to clean up.

Edit:

You're talking about the bit below the neck pocket though... I see...

I just made the neck and body template so that that part of the body has the same line as the neck.

Made the neck template first, body template second. (Or I might have made the body template first then adjusted it to the neck template; don't remember.)

So u don't leave hat area of the body a little oversized and make it match the neck during the dry fit stage?

I'm worried I might have the neck off center and the body will not match up to the taper of the neck

No, I don't leave the body oversized. I'm by no means an expert or anything, that's just the way that works for me.

If you were a little off, it would be pretty easy to take a little off here or there if needed, to match it up, IMO.

But if you're as careful as you should be, it won't be a problem. Just make sure the neck and body templates share the line of the treble side of the neck in that area of the body, put the neck pocket template in the right place when you route the neck pocket, and you'll be fine.

No, I don't leave the body oversized. I'm by no means an expert or anything, that's just the way that works for me.

If you were a little off, it would be pretty easy to take a little off here or there if needed, to match it up, IMO.

But if you're as careful as you should be, it won't be a problem. Just make sure the neck and body templates share the line of the treble side of the neck in that area of the body, put the neck pocket template in the right place when you route the neck pocket, and you'll be fine.

Thanks buddy!!!

So u don't leave hat area of the body a little oversized and make it match the neck during the dry fit stage?

I'm worried I might have the neck off center and the body will not match up to the taper of the neck

If I understand what you're saying, I've done that, and I like the results. I leave a bunch of extra wood there. Once I have the neck in place, I'll use the side of the neck like a router template, and the body ends up perfectly flush to it.

-Dave