Long Scale Truss Rods

I'm still wondering if I need a longer truss rod for my build, myself. I've heard that LMI makes custom length dual action rods. I've sent them a message. (I don't have access to my email again until I get home from work however) I heard that they did, but I haven't seen any mention of it on the current website. I'll post back if I hear anything.

A traditional single-action rod (like what you find in a fender) would be the easiest route if you do need a custom length - although installation is more difficult, all you need are some nuts and washers, some steel rod and a die. Stew Mac sells single action truss rods that can be cut to length, and then have new threads cut with a die.

I am currently waiting for my 22" dual action truss rod complete with Stainless Spoke Wheel to come from the shop. I will have one available for sale if anyone is interested. Obviously if you don't want a spoke wheel then it ain't for you! :D

I can get them made to whatever length you desire - with whatever adjustment head you want.

Once I have them I'll post pictures.

Well, the problem I've run across with my planned build is the 24" rods for a bass will extend right into the pickup cavity. The 18" rods fall somewhat short - although given the extended single cut design I'm planning, I'm imagining I'll be fine with a standard 18" rod.

I understand that the truss rod doesn't need to go the entire length of the fretboard, (as it doesn't really do that in traditional guitar builds) but I've had a hard time finding information on the best way to determine the length one should use or how to best align it if it's "short". That's why I was questioning in my thread and here - I'd hate to build a thing and find I have an unusable truss rod! Although I'm not sure why - I've only made one instrument where I've ever really needed the truss rod.

FWIW - I got a reply from LMI:

We do make custom sizes of trussrods. There is no extra charge on making

this, but there is usually a 1 to 2 week wait on these custom orders. If you

order online , just make a note in the special instructions. Otherwise if

you call in your order just mention the size for us!

You start the nut of the truss rod directly underneath the string nut(use the 1/8" allen head rod) and the rod ends about where the heel of the neck stops...if this still worries you,use graphite rods to reinforce the heel,though I think you won't need them.

But as was said,you could get LMII to make you one...I suggest 26 1/2"