Cherry And Mahogany?

I've used Jatoba a lot before. It's considered Brazilian cherry. It's definitely not like mahogany.

As far as domestic cherry goes, I haven't heard it in a guitar, so i can't say, but like Wood said, it seems o be more like maple.

According to wikipedia brazilian cherry isn't acctually cherry. What I would be using would be european wild cherry. I thought they might be similar as the cherry i'm using is of similar hardness as mahogany (little bit harder than mahogany i would say). Somewhere imbetween mahogany and maple?

According to wikipedia brazilian cherry isn't acctually cherry. What I would be using would be european wild cherry. I thought they might be similar as the cherry i'm using is of similar hardness as mahogany (little bit harder than mahogany i would say). Somewhere imbetween mahogany and maple?

I see. I've only used cherry from the US or Brazilian cherry (it's called Brazilian cherry because the wood is similar... they claim it is at least).

It's likely to be very different if it's European cherry. It should be fine structurally. If you can get ahold of some you could just give it a good tap and compare the sound to mahogany. That should give you a real good idea how it will sound. I bet it'll be more like maple, though. Even though the hardness might be like mahogany, the structure of cherry is usually closer to maple, in my experience at least.

Edited by NotYou

No...cherry is very similar to maple in stiffness and grain,but works a bit easier...similar to soft maple...but the tone is very,very bright...more so than maple.

I built a cherry neck once...hurt my ears.

I wonder how the cherry and sycamore neck on my current guitar is gonna turn out then. It's only my second guitar and im getting the finish on at the moment. Stop worrying me!

I've made a hippie sandwich neckthrough with rock maple/walnut and cherry, and worked with cherry on countless cabinet installations. Cherry is harder and stiffer than mahogany, but not as much as rock maple. Probably similar to softer maples, like the Western Big Leaf that we get the lovely quilted patterns from. Cherry is a very nice tonewood and it's often substituted for the flamed maple sides and back by violin luthiers. My 'hippie sandwich' neckthrough is far from painful to the ears :D

Wes, I thought I read a post by you a few weeks ago regarding Cherry and you had said it was hard like Maple, but had a warmer sound...am I mistaken?

No...I was probably talking about Bubinga...which is very hard but is almost as warm as mahogany...but with more bite...

Cherry is really,really snappy.