Strat Solder Lug

DC Ross

I was working on a Double Fat Strat yesterday which has a solder lug (ground post) screwed into the body which is grounded to the vol pot body. Normally, this wouldn't look strange, but the cavity isn't shielded from the factory. Why would they go through the cost & trouble?

Grounded to wood? I don't think so :D It's not as if the body grounds connected there, and the lug wired to the pot -- that would've made sense (which is what I did with it). There was one sole wire from the lug to the pot. The bridge & jack grounds were wired separately to the pot.

Check out Fender's wiring diagram here

Edited by DC Ross

That's kind of weird how they did the grounds on your example. On my SpankenStrat project guitar, I have a ground wire that connects to the shielding inside the body cavities (which I did myself), kind of like what is shown on the wiring diagram you linked. Sounds like Fender is getting cheaper still and omitting the shielding altogether, or someone at the factory is lazy and isn't putting it in...

Edited by Paul Marossy

Unless it is shielded with conductive paint...often black...like my squier.

With that giant 4p5t super switch in there, shielding can often cause a lot of frustration because it is easy for things to short out. They may have made the decision to forgo shielding in this model for this reason.

Normally, this wouldn't look strange, but the cavity isn't shielded from the factory. Why would they go through the cost & trouble?

Well...one of the "revolutions" of the strat was to make the entire electronics mounted to the scratchplate so the "girls" (typically) that were doing the electronics ('cause they are so good at needlework) could work separately to the guitars on the production line.

Very commonly, "girls" are replaced by "asians" or "mexicans" or whoever in very many of these areas of manufacture. I can't speak to fender, but even down here 'made in Australia' often means 'assembled in australia' and these components (the entire electronics) may well be made offshore. After all, we all know that Nike use children because they are so much better at embroidering the swoop into leather...ohhhh, sorry...a bit political!

Seriously...I don't know what fender does in this regard, but I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the case and the assembly was done to a standard format in the country of origin of the pickups which most likely are made over at the artec factory or somewhere...ahhaha

pete