Viability Of Osage Orange As A Neck Wood?

Osage Orange is very stable IF you find a good piece of it. The nature of the tree is pretty gnarly, it has multiple trunks, low crown, leans and curves in what trunk you do have, which means alot of reaction wood. I have a coworker that makes bows out of it, and he said that it's important to look closely at the grain, much as we would for anything else we would use in guitar building. Osage can have a pretty straight and clear grain by appearance, but if the tree gets a spiral growth pattern, you actually could have short grain running through say a piece that was perfectly quartersawn through the log.

A well selected piece of Osage Orange will not steer you wrong though. It's incredibly durable.

Osage Orange is very stable IF you find a good piece of it. The nature of the tree is pretty gnarly, it has multiple trunks, low crown, leans and curves in what trunk you do have, which means alot of reaction wood.

Yep, that's osage, all right! One of the more crazy-growing trees I have encountered.

Yet, I have found that even with all the wacky grain, knots and fissures, it stays remarkably straight while drying. Especially considering how dense it is. Absurdly strong, as well.