Lp Neck Idea

Hello Forum,

I have an idea that I have not seen addressed any where. I purchased a Les Paul body with a set neck that had been sawed off flush with the body. I have no idea why. After a fruitless attempt to find a reasonable set neck replacement, I thought maybe my purchase wasn't the best. Then I had a brain storm. With the availability of plenty of bolt on necks, maybe I could pull out what is remaining of the tenon, and "attach" it to a bolt on neck and reset it. My other thought was to fill the set neck pocket, and reroute for a bolt on? As much as I would love to have a set neck Les Paul, I have played many guitars and there does not seem to me to be much of a tone difference between the set neck and bolt on to me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

:D

Thank you,

Wayja

Is it a real les paul or a chinese copy?

You can purchase chinese LP necks ready for installation.

If it is a Gibson...you should replace the neck with a neck made for it...My opinion is that if you hack up a Gibson to make a bolt on...then that kind of turns my stomach a bit...

There are people who can build you a replacement neck of better quality than the original...

http://www.soulmateguitars.com/Necks.htm

Thank you for the input. I am honestly not sure of the origin of this body, but after looking it over, there is no way it is a Gibson. The quality of the cavity cut outs gives it away. It could be an Epiphone. I really would like to put a set neck back in, but my fear is doing more damage trying to take out the tenon remainder. Using this body as a training aid, I think I will take your advice and try Soulmate. Do you know anybody else who makes set necks? Thanks again for your help.

Wayja

Hello Forum,

I have an idea that I have not seen addressed any where. I purchased a Les Paul body with a set neck that had been sawed off flush with the body. I have no idea why. After a fruitless attempt to find a reasonable set neck replacement, I thought maybe my purchase wasn't the best. Then I had a brain storm. With the availability of plenty of bolt on necks, maybe I could pull out what is remaining of the tenon, and "attach" it to a bolt on neck and reset it. My other thought was to fill the set neck pocket, and reroute for a bolt on? As much as I would love to have a set neck Les Paul, I have played many guitars and there does not seem to me to be much of a tone difference between the set neck and bolt on to me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

:D

Thank you,

Wayja

I bough a cheapo Uke kit and the neck came that way. For what I was doing I just glued it on. I think the easier solution is to use dowels. You could also remove the existing tenon and with hand tools try and get a new tenon into what is left of the heal. But dowels seem like an easier solution, 15 min VS several hours. Use big dowels. Like two 1/2" dowels. The other issue is not removing too much wood your you will change the position of the bridge in relation to the neck.

now wait a sec..that is an LP studio tenon on that ebay neck...the chinese copies have an offset tenon,and the LP standards (gibson) have a completely different thing going on..

Most likely the one we are talking about is a chinese copy...and if so,it needs an offset tenon...unless you plan on rerouting the existing pocket...which is also feasible...

westhemann,

You bring up a very good point. My thought was to route the neck to fit the tenon cavity on this body, which does have an offset. I am thinking the wrong way? Maybe it would be easier to reroute the body. This whole set neck thing is turning into a pain in the butt, but a good learning experience. I appreciate all your input.

Wayja

Filling the body and rerouting makes good sense and is probably the easier way. Maybe I should just leave the existing tenon "stub" in place and get a les paul neck pocket template and route it as is and then fill any voids? What do you think?

I have several types of routers available to me, from huge to Dremel size.

Thank you all for your quick responses and great information/advice. I contacted the eBayer with the Les Paul replacement neck and it just so happens he has a Korean Epiphone neck that will fit my body. After several painstaking hours of decision making, I decided to take the easier way out and purchase the Epi neck. It seems like the logical choice for my first neck replacement. Thanks again for the invaluable input. I will try and post some pictures of the repair for others who might be entertaining a neck replacement. Maybe I can be of some help to someone else.

Wayja

:DB):D