Chris's Corvus Of Doom

It looks good...well as good as a corvus can...the pinstripes help a lot. Much as I criticized the corvus design, and there is a lot to be critical of...making one and repeating the mistakes of gibson and co could be really instructive for future designing. Obviously I have thought about the corvus enough to have recognized it's flaws. But then I made some really weird bad designs my self in my teens and learned a lot along the way without having to be too precious about things...some of them played quite well despite looking a little rough.

The great thing here is that everything but the body wood is reusable and once you get tired of the corvus you might try an equally silly similar era fender Katana...

katana-p.jpg

There were so many bad things that seemed like a good idea in the mid-80's...gibson were not the only ones to ignore basic design principles and naming protocols (apparently a katana is type of samurai sword)...hahaha...If you really wanted "cutting power" a telecaster would be sharper!

pete

Jeez that's quick! And nice results too!

I'm making slow progress on my body, but still have an entire neck (my first) to carve. Guess mine will be on the edge of the deadline or over. Great to see the other contestants finish though! Gives more motivation to get to work.

I recommend following John's build over mine as far as examples go. John's was carefully done, and he made the least amount of mistakes possible.

I hit this thing with a hammer & chisel for 11 days until it looked OK :D

My serious projects are going to take time, and I'm going to make sure that I don't make any mistakes. You should do the same with yours (that goes to everyone, not just Dirge)

Yeah at that, I'm curious. Does it balance?

True John's looks great but so does yours Narc. The only thing I'm not sure about is the finish, but overall impression is cool.

Body is up till now very tight, so no problems on that. On the neck, I don't have all the tools, but I'm gonna get the profile sawed by someone, so I can get at it with spokeshaves and surforms (also a first). The fretting I'm also going to leave to a pro, but he offered me to watch and learn which is a great thing (and for a reasonable price, he doesn't charge extra for the teaching).

And now I'll quit spamming your topic! :D

Cheers