Build 4 /w Neck

i think that fretboard would really confuse me :D but it is fun in a retro kinda way. i suppose i wouldnt be any more confused than i normally am on a fretless :D

have you considered that movement in the wood may cause the metal to protrude over time

i think that fretboard would really confuse me :D but it is fun in a retro kinda way. i suppose i wouldnt be any more confused than i normally am on a fretless :D

have you considered that movement in the wood may cause the metal to protrude over time

Yeah. I remember reading that in melvyns book. It says the wood will wear away at a different speed to the metal. If it's not to late then I would replace the copper bits with wood(And possibly the inlays but i'm not sure).

Thanks for the input, I agree that the woods and metal will wear at different rates.Also as a fretless it will have to be intonenated regular. If the neck proves to much ,I will just remove the fret board and go in a different direction.This is more a test with the fret board.

.Also as a fretless it will have to be intonenated regular.

nah - use your ears!! :D

You do know I am old ,deaf, and blind ,right.Nice to hear from you Wez, How do you like the body shape? It will be done more normal. I will mock up all the hardware and take a pic soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, judging by the pickups a tiesco of some sort. Where'd you get the pickups anyway? And let me know how they sound would ya? I've always thought they were cool lookin'.

You got the pickups right, but not the guitar. I like the pickup style ,too.These are vintage gold foil Tiesco single cole pickups.I forget what year.I have only seen one guitar like this ,it is by a known builder.I think the trim is Tiesco ,too.I have not found a bridge tail piece for this guitar, like the one on the original.It is a string thru /w bridge combo.Kind of cheesey looking.Teleish in design.I am going to use a tele plate for wireing.It will be mod. for a toggle switch.

So ,here is the build at this point....Can anyone guess the guitar this is modeled after?

Avenger's Retrotron?

LOL, don't say that ,he will want money for the design. hahaha The original guitar is from a well known builder.The body and rough neck are over forty years old.Very stable wood.I cut down the body, and I am going to put a mahogany back on it.I will cut the neck square ,too.

I'm liking it so far. Only thing I will warn against is the copper. But for other reasons then stated. Make sure you cover them in a clear coat. I would use poly for the higher wear resistance. Copper will turn green as it corrodes, which it does pretty quickly, and that will seap into the wood and mess up the colors of the wood. I do like the look of the fret board though.

I'm liking it so far. Only thing I will warn against is the copper. But for other reasons then stated. Make sure you cover them in a clear coat. I would use poly for the higher wear resistance. Copper will turn green as it corrodes, which it does pretty quickly, and that will seap into the wood and mess up the colors of the wood. I do like the look of the fret board though.

Thanks for the remarks.I was thinking about the green monster ,too.I will keep a eye on it.I think brass turns green faster,copper turns dull fast.I will try the lemon oil first,and see how good it does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...