Body Blank Warpage

I have a solid ash body blank and it is slightly warped(cupping). You can't tell by looking at the blank. If you set it down on a table, and push hard on one corner, the opposite diagonal corner comes off the table about 1/8". Corner to corner it's 21.5"

What is the acceptable tolerance for warped body blanks? This wood seems to be stable now, just slightly cupped. Would you guys use it as is or take further steps to eliminate the warping? THe blank is exactly 2" thick btw.

My first guitar had a more warped blank than that and i had few problems with it. I think If you feel strongly about it then give it few passes with a thickness planer if its not to wide.

From a playing point of view a rounded in back is more comfortable (I saw some basses in a guitar shop with deliberatly cupped backs) but it can make rounding over a little uneven and the routing templates might not stick down properly.

You might not even have any of these problems as you only have a tiny bit of warp.

Pictures would help

Have you checked it against a good straight edge, or just doing the "table check" you describe in your post? You don't say what sort of table you're talking about, but there's always the chance your table is the bit that's not flat in your test, unless you're talking about a nice workbench or a tablesaw table or something.

If the wood is warped beyond usability (which it doesn't sound like it would be), then there's no harm in experimenting. So here's some thoughts & ideas to consider...

The greatest waste on the blank is the corners. Cut out the body leaving 1/4" of material past the outline. This might eliminate most of the cupped wood.

IF it's still cupped, give it a couple of passes in the planer to flatten it out. Be sure to tale some material off of both sides. Exposing "fresh" wood to air on just one side can cause movement all by itself.

Then let it sit for a week or two. If the wood moved before, it might move again.

there's always the chance your table is the bit that's not flat in your test

as daft as it sounds i would definately check this. my dining room table is like a pringle. you cant see it till you lay something flat over the top

as daft as it sounds i would definately check this. my dining room table is like a pringle. you cant see it till you lay something flat over the top

I am suprised you don't eat it.hahaha ...Cheers Wez.

I am suprised you don't eat it.hahaha ...Cheers Wez.

Why? Pringles suck....

I have checked it on numerous surfaces. My cutting table(particle board), my kitchen table, and my dresser. I provided the worst case scenario. My template lays almost flat on the blank(maybe 3/64's of wiggle).

It's not that bad. With ferrules on the back the guitar would never lay flat and nobody would ever notice, assuming the wood is stable(which I think it is). I guess I'm just curious as to where people draw the line.

I say put it together and play the hell out of it. :D

That's kind of what I'm thinking.

Do you guys usually cut your body outline and then plane to thickness or vise versa? (obviously you'd route your cavities after so you don't change their depth when you plane)