Fooling Around (with Serious Work)

Still doing some of the small things. I though building 3 would be easier. Well it is when you are working on rough necks and bodys but whey you are fretting and doing inlay its just as slow only 3x's slower. LOL :D

Here is the test board for the maple top. I was not happy with the Blue as this top is a bit blotchy. Like I said before it was not a first class piece of flame maple. This is from the same board.

Whats your opinion on the color.

IMG_1163.JPG

That have any black/sandback...? If not... DO IT!

Chris

The black or brown stain was too strong, I tried both. Because it is a bit blotchy, ie: the flame is very close together in spots and bleeds into others, so I dont consider this wood having a very defined figure. so the Black and then brown both gave marginal results. I just looked like dark blotches rather than flame.

I used a Bordeaux as the base coat (a dark reddish purple) and sanded this back, then added a bright red top dye. I also experimented with a bit of yellow added in between and this was the best combination, no yellow.

I am beginning to believe sometimes the wood has something to say about what works or doesn't. This board has fought my desire to blacken the flame. Maybe I missed something as this is my first direct dye attempt on maple.

Any bursting or just a solid red?
Just a solid red this go round. If it was a better piece of wood I would consider it.

Well after little feedback on the maple color I forged ahead. Cant wait for you guys to get ready to give me a good talking to. LOL

I put shellac on the sides of the body to keep from staining the wood. I have never had good luck with tape and given dye vs shellac I would rather be removing that. The dye has some laquer on to protect it untill I start finishing the whole guitar.

IMG_1189.jpg

As I have been saying the top is pretty lame flame wise so at least the color adds some interest. Of course now you can comment after the fact?? :D

• 3 weeks later...