Super-strat Style - Complete With New Inline Headstock

Well this is more of a remodelling job opposed to a totally new build - well once it entered the workshop it ended up being basically a complete new build the only thing that remained was general outline of the body! Otherwise it's was new neck, new pickup rings, new control knobs, a bit of a relic effect, reshaped around the edges etc etc.

All it needs is the nut shaping, wiring up and of course some strings!

The body is a solid figured and part flamed Burmese Ironwood the neck is my favourite Afzelia Xylocarpa - quartersawn gives it a lovely grain - the fretboard is Laos Rosewood aka Burmese Blackwood aka Dalbergia Cultrata. The pickup rings and control knobs are also matching Dalbergia Cultrata. The front inlay and neck side inlay are abalone dots.

The pickups are a SD SH-3 Stag-mag in the Bridge and a modified APH-1 in at the neck. Modified that I swapped the Alinco 2 for a Alnico 5 - I really didn't like the sound with the Alnico 2 far too muddy although I've not heard it yet I expect it will now be more akin to the SH-2 Jazz model. Tuners are Schaller compacts and the switch is a Schaller Megaswitch - the standard one which does a coil tap for the Stag Mag.

Anyway I think it looks far better now and the headstock looks pretty good with it (cheers for the votes! :D ) :D

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

More coming up below. . .

why are the mop or abalone dots all around the knobs. I can't figure out why. it's drivin me crazy. otherwise i like the grain

...my thoughts exactly

Just fancied something different and a eccentuate the grain a little as it has a the kind of arc in the grain.

It'll look different with strings and the control knobs polished up . . hopefully I'll get chance to finish it completely today. :D

Cheers all for the comments so far!

Lovely, great placement of the knobs and selector switch, I bash into those things on a normal strat, you have them in a much better place.

Ahaaaaaaaa someone who experiences the exact same thing as me!!! :D

The knob placement below the line of the bridge and the picking hand is something I always do (view any of my builds)! This stems from owning a Peavey Wolfgang - not a bad guitar by any stretch - but with any kind of aggressive picking action I was forever unwittingly nudging the volume pot downwards which in the middle of a tune is annoying to say the least! B)

Being a tad pished from attending a friends wedding today the nut and wiring will have to wait until I've sobered up somewhat! :D

Finished! B)

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

With a nice straight pull on the strings . . . CAD is good for something! :D :

pic7.jpg

Oh and no it didn't take me 8 days to string it up and do the nut! :D It's monsoon season here and photo opportunities have been limited. B)

Something else - the APH-1 with an Alnico 5 magnet is pretty darn sweet - a far clearer and punchier sound than the Alnico2. ;)