seymour duncans

jimmyb

hey,

at the moment im building an explorer. its kind of a gibson copy but with a 25.5 scale(like hetfields esp).

i was thinking about putting Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge and a seymour duncan Jazz in the neck.

i need opinions on these pickups please

thanks in advance

J.B

I can only advise you to try guitars which have these PU's. Buying PU's following someones advice is no good thing to do. A company like DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan makes no bad pickup. The difference between them is simply a matter of taste. I am sure you can find one guy who tells you that the Dimebucker lacks articulation and sounds way too bassy and another one who raves about the great dynamics and piercing highs of the PU. You can hear the sample sound files on the Seymour Duncan homepage and compare the PU's via their charts. This allows you to at least choose a PU with a lot of highs for example. If you want opinions anyway then look here.

Good luck,

MK!

hey,

at the moment im building an explorer. its kind of a gibson copy but with a 25.5 scale(like hetfields esp).

i was thinking about putting Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge and a seymour duncan Jazz in the neck.

i need opinions on these pickups please

thanks in advance

J.B

Jimmy, i have those in stock, and can put them into my Jackson 25.5 inch scale Rhoads USA if you want to hear them (or yours if its finished). You can come around to my workshop and have a play with them. Ive got Screamin Demon, Distortion, Jazz, JB and '59 here too. The Jazz, distortion and screamin demon are already in guitars at the moment, and i'll have a 59 and a JB in another 25.5inch scale guitar before the end of jan.

You CANNOT go wrong with Seymour Duncans.

I agree with Marcel - asking opinions on pickups is asking for more confusion. Just take a look at any pickup in harmony central's database. For just about every one, someone will says it is horrible and someone else will say it is the very best. Very frustrating. I think the only way to know is by trying them out.

remember also that for years hetfield played the explorer with the 500t in the bridge(i think ...that's what it looks like in the videos)

it is his new sound that has the 81.but it's all relative.i get a great sound out of my 81...it's just not as warm as a 500t...but it's not supposed to be

asking opinions on pickups is asking for more confusion. Just take a look at any pickup in harmony central's database. For just about every one, someone will says it is horrible and someone else will say it is the very best. Very frustrating. I think the only way to know is by trying them out.

Very true, if the ppl asked are into different musical styles.

I bought a pair of EMGs about 6-8 months ago, through eBay. I had no way easy way to get to play with such pups, but I asked for opinions on a metal/guitar-oriented board, and asked only those who had experience with the pups to reply. I got a few answers, saying that the pups were great. I bought them, and, well, they were great.

So I figure a good thing when talking about sound and stuff is stating what music your into, what sound you want, what you think of famous ppls sound, and so on, to give ppl an idea of your frame of reference.

the jazz certainly doesn't scream nearly as much as the dimebucker. Maybe you should go a step up on the output level to blend a little better. They had a modified Gibson with a Jazz Neck and Dime Bridge I loved the dime and jazz separate but when blended it was two different worlds. I had to turn the tone down all the way one one end and all the way up on the other just to get a decent sound. I'd reccomend something a step up. the jazz gets super clean and the dime gets pretty clean but always has that grit. I'd reccomend something a little more wound than a jazz.