Finished! The Slinger

goat

Well,I started in August and completed my guitar last night.

I just wanted to thank everybody at the forum for the great help,and especially Brian for putting this thing together.It is the most valuable source for a builder who has never built a guitar.(No Snobs like at...... :DB) )

Anyway,I can`t believe the range of sounds and tone this full scale "not a travel guitar" gets. :D I love it!

FINISHED GUITAR

THE SLINGER:

SOLID HONDURAN MAHOGANY

NECK-THRU BODY-24 JUMBO FRETS EBONY FINGER BOARD with M.O.P. FIVE

POINTED STAR INLAYS and ABALONE LOGO IN BODY

NECK PICKUP : DiMARZIO VIRTUAL VINTAGE BLUES

BRIDGE PICKUP : DiMARZIO TONE-ZONE w/BLACK P-UP RING

FIVE WAY SWITCH (COIL SPLIT in 2nd and 4th position)

1 VOLUME KNOB ; 1 TONE KNOB (BLACK)

ABM HEADLESS SYSTEM

SCHALLER ROLL-A-MATIC BRIDGE

STRAP LOCKS

COPPER SHIELDED CAVATIES

2 COATS BARTLEYS GRAIN FILLER

2 COATS SAND AND SEALER

3 COATS LAKE PLACID BLUE METALLIC

2 CANS CLEAR COAT

SAND TO 2000 GRIT EACH COAT

3M PERFECT-IT BUFFING COMPOUND

3M PERFECT-IT POLISHING COMPOUND

1 SET DADARRIO 10-46 STRINGS

:D Dang that's so cool. That recess rout for the tuning system is so sexy. I can only say that it looks killer and for a first-timer even more so. Now to the GOTM thread, or do I have to beat you there...

so long

ace

Thanks Ace,I just entered it.This is a big GOTM turnout.Great for the end of the year!

SHEIIITE!

I am a HUGE Johnny Winter fan, I've seen Johnny several times over the years, and am well familiar with his Lazar guitars.

Big Kudo's on the guitar!

A question...I have always wondered what made that Lazar sound sooo different than any other guitar. It has a completely different tone than pretty much any other guitar out there. Trebly to say the least, but with guts...

He must use 9's or lighter, I can hear him bending and I know that sound is 9's or even 8's?

Did you do any research on Johnny's axe that you can tell me how he get's the signature tone out of his Lazar?

Is it the pkps, lack of wood, what is it that makes that guitar sound the way it does?

Gorgeous Guitar my man. :D

Question on the body inlay. Is the inlay done before or after the paint? I ask because I have a project idea that includes some inlay on the body and was wondering about the process.  Oh yeah........damn fine guitar Goat!!

Keith

Thanks Keith.

I would recommend inlaying into a natural or a stained surface only.

I must say,I will never inlay a guitar again on a painted surface.I did it in the wood first,because to route over a painted surface would,well,ruin the paint with the epoxies,sanding and such.,but the edge from paint to inlay was a hard edge.Maybe because it was Metallic?Fortunately I used the black two part epoxy,which gives it a border.

After taping over the logo,I had to remove the tape to shoot the clear.It was very tedious.

If its in a headstock,I recall Bob Benedetto routing his into a plastic black laminate,then clearing.

SHEIIITE!

I am a HUGE Johnny Winter fan, I've seen Johnny several times over the years, and am well familiar with his Lazar guitars.

Big Kudo's on the guitar!

A question...I have always wondered what made that Lazar sound sooo different than any other guitar. It has a completely different tone than pretty much any other guitar out there. Trebly to say the least, but with guts...

He must use 9's or lighter, I can hear him bending and I know that sound is 9's or even 8's?

Did you do any research on Johnny's axe that you can tell me how he get's the signature tone out of his Lazar?

Is it the pkps, lack of wood, what is it that makes that guitar sound the way it does?

Gorgeous Guitar my man. :D

Thanks Drak,

I consider your work some of the best I`ve seen,so that means alot to me.

Johnny`s The MAN!

If you look at my other photo albums there,you can see he signed my real Lazer when I met him.I`ve seen him more than any other player I`ve seen.At least seven times.

I gotta tell you it must be the shape and size with the combination of Mahogany(which his is also.)Like I said the range of tones are unreal.

I know for a fact that Johnny uses 10`s,but he drops his tuning a whole step on each string starting with 'D',but this one sounds similar and I have it regular tuning.

Johnny Winter

Oh, so that was -your- guitar? :D

I did look at the other album, just didn't know the particulars of the photos.

So...you actually OWN a LAZAR built just like Johnny's? Wow!

Does yours sound like his, or has he had work done to his to make it different?

It really has a distinctive trebly tone I love it.

Yeah, I've seen Johnny I think 4 times over a 15 year span...but we used to go see Danny Gatton once, sometimes twice a week when he was still our home-town boy, so I've probably clocked in over 40-50 Gatton nights.

I also have some decent Johnny concert pics, but not signing my guitar!

DC is underrated for talent I think. It's really a Tele town, but some would have a hard time believing that...it doesn't seem to be on the surface, but DC has a lot of blue-eyed soul/country roots.

My parents used to go see Roy Clark at the local Oddfellows Hall every Wednesday night (how do I remember **** like that, and what exactly is an Oddfellows Hall?) B)

Yeah the white one is an original I got after I started mine.It sounds just like Johnnys`.I`ll take a shot of them side by side and put it in the album.

I`m getting this computer interface software for Christmas so I can make an MP3 track for you to hear the guitar. If I can figure it out,I`ll post the different sounds it gets.

My friend wanted me to go see this guy Jay Montrose who was supposedly good friends with,and used to play with Danny Gatton.Have you heard of him?

He just played at The Mexical Blues Cafe in Teaneck,N.J.

Yes, I've heard of Jay.

He owns and runs Vintique, a parts place primarily for Teles here in MD.

As a player, I've never heard him personally, but yes, he used to be associated with Danny, that is a fact.

As the owner of Vintique, well, I will leave that Hot Tamale alone unless you want to PM me on it. B)

BTW, I can't believe he gets that trebly-ass tone out of a Mahogony guitar. There is something going on there... :D