Back Again!

Hi folks! Apologies for not being on for a while . . . . a while :D Been here for a look around often enough but can't remember when I last logged in. My last posting was about my "Blackmore" Strat, finished long ago but still being worked on, still finding little things to do to it!

Since then I have started making some "beer money" from my hobby, repairing/modifying guitars. Worked on many types, Strats, Teles, LPs, SGs, etc mainly local guys but starting to get some work from further afield as well. Next project is I've been asked to modify a guy's Flying V into a copy of Michael Schenker's No 1 Flying V. Lot of cosmetic work, replace pickups, tuners etc. This will be my first Flying V, not that keen on the Flying V style myself, a bit too "Spinal Tap" for my tastes but hey, each to his own :D

Having a hell of a job trying to research Schenker's No 1 Flying V. Considering how popular he is there's not a lot of technical info about his gear. Photos yes, technical info, very little. I have been led to believe it is the standard Gibson neck pickup and you can see from photos that the bridge is a Seymour Duncan, can't find out which Seymour Duncan though. Can anybody here shed any light on the pickups?

Sorry I can't help, man... Pointy geetars are not my strong suit... :D

Me neither. I'm not a fan of the Flying V, it's too '70s Glam Rock for my liking. I don't mind working on them, just wouldn't want to own one!

Thanks Natch, hadn't found that site. In one way it helps, it's the first time I have seen a possible model for the front pickup, in another way it adds to the confusion because it's the fourth possible model for the rear pickup :D

Cosmetically it is sorted, I know what external mods I need to make but it's trying to find out about the electrics that's giving me all the grief. In response to a posting on the Scorpions fan forum I was advised to contact Michael Schenker himself. Apparently he is quite happy to respond to emails from fans so I am hoping to get a definative answer from him. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Natch, hadn't found that site. In one way it helps, it's the first time I have seen a possible model for the front pickup, in another way it adds to the confusion because it's the fourth possible model for the rear pickup :D

Cosmetically it is sorted, I know what external mods I need to make but it's trying to find out about the electrics that's giving me all the grief. In response to a posting on the Scorpions fan forum I was advised to contact Michael Schenker himself. Apparently he is quite happy to respond to emails from fans so I am hoping to get a definative answer from him. I'll keep you posted.

Michael has used different pickups at different times through the years. I'm not sure about No. 1, but the info on that website mentioned is what I seem to remember as well. Although, his UFO sound is very different from his MSG sound sometimes. A lot of the MSG stuff was done with Duncan Custom/Duncan '59 pickups, and you can difinitely hear that Duncan Custom (bridge) ceramic magnet sound with a lot of the MSG albums recorded in the 80's. Interestingly, when he re-joined UFO in the mid 90's his sound changed back to being similar to his sound on the last few UFO albums in the 70's, but even better! Check out the "Walk on Water" CD...his best sound ever, I think. That is my favorite of his sounds, personally. That might be either a stock USA Gibson Alnico low-mid output pickups, or the ones that he had made in Japan that are basically slightly hot Gibson PAF style pickups. I would be surprised if his UFO sound is from a Duncan Custom...but it might be!? And I think his current sound, using the Dean pickups is his WORST sound ever!! But really, Schenker could play a cardboard guitar with lipstick pickups and still make it sound great, in my opinion. Good luck getting him to tell you the actual truth about what he used when, even if he can remember.

Edited by Stolysmaster

I've tried contacting him via both his myspace and MSG sites, no response. Apparently he is touring just now which may explain the lack of a reply but doesn't help me!

The project turned out to be bigger than expected, the guy I'm building it for was supplying the donor guitar, he picked up a Tokai MS Flying V replica. I thought great, Tokai, good name, should cut down the work needed . . . . boy was I wrong there!

Discovered there are three different standards of Tokai depending on where they are made:

Made In Japan :D

Made In Korea B)

Made In China :D

Yep, you've guessed it, the MS replica is of Chinese origin and it shows. There are several problems but the biggest is the pickguard, wrong shape, too angular and both pickups are so far out of position the poles aren't even under the strings. With the Flying V the bottom edge of the pickguard runs parallel with the edge of the body, this thing has over a 5mm run out, 15mm from the edge at the neck, under 10mm from the edge at the bridge end! The Tokai body is shorter than the genuine Flying V so simply buying a replacement pickguard wasn't an option, I'm having to make one from scratch to fit. None of the problems are insurmountable but they are a pain in the ar . . . .

If you get offered a Tokai, find out where it was made unless you are prepared to throw money at it.

The finished article, well, just about finished, still needs a final once over, set up and sound check.

3622674392_1e1b516a1b.jpg

Added later:

Had it's once over, set up and sound check. Very quiet guitar thanks to extensive anti noise shielding. Capable of un-neighbourly levels of gain and volume on the amp without noise becoming intrusive! Final sound/tone check was with an overdrive pedal and all tube amp . . . . sweeeeet :D

Edited by scottishstrat