Moisture Content

I know it is basic. ideally it should be 6-8 percent, but is 9 percent acceptable? I am looking at buying a nice piece of koa with this moisture content from Hawaii. It was kiln dried to 9 but the seller says it has stabalized to 11-12%? Any thoughts?

Nathan

Edited by riffster

Hawaii is a more tropical climate therefore higher constant humidity, which will make the wood stabilize at a higher humidity. If it is truely stabilized and hangs around 11-12%, that means the wood is no longer losing moisture but is no longer gaining, and has reached a balance with the surrounding air. If you order it I would give it at least a few months to acclimate to your climate. It should lose more moisture until it stabilizes to your climate.

Hawaii is a more tropical climate therefore higher constant humidity, which will make the wood stabilize at a higher humidity. If it is truely stabilized and hangs around 11-12%, that means the wood is no longer losing moisture but is no longer gaining, and has reached a balance with the surrounding air. If you order it I would give it at least a few months to acclimate to your climate. It should lose more moisture until it stabilizes to your climate.

+1 absolutely 100% unequivocally perfectly correct answer. Unless you also live in a high moisture climate, LOL

Now if you want some real fun, try stabilizing wood in Pa. Dry winters, and humid summers, plus fall and spring will change 40% humidity in one day. In fact yesterday at lunch my hygrometer read 75%, at 6:30 it dropped to 40%. Today is sitting pretty level around 40%.

Now if you want some real fun, try stabilizing wood in Pa. Dry winters, and humid summers, plus fall and spring will change 40% humidity in one day. In fact yesterday at lunch my hygrometer read 75%, at 6:30 it dropped to 40%. Today is sitting pretty level around 40%.

Thats why I moved from Jersy(UGH) to Colorado. Dry all year.

Thats why I moved from Jersy(UGH) to Colorado. Dry all year.

:D

Except lately it's unusually wet. All the way up to 50%! Hahaha.

Still have wood problems though. Acoustic tops dry out and crack and fretboards go a little wonky. My strat neck slowly went unplayable. But then again it was 10 years old and probably needed a refret.

A humidifier for my guitars would probably be a good idea. I notice the local guitar shop has some pretty thorough climate control.

Except lately it's unusually wet. All the way up to 50%! Hahaha.

Still have wood problems though. Acoustic tops dry out and crack and fretboards go a little wonky. My strat neck slowly went unplayable. But then again it was 10 years old and probably needed a refret.

A humidifier for my guitars would probably be a good idea. I notice the local guitar shop has some pretty thorough climate control.

I've been here (Boulder/Denver/Firestone) for 22 years and the top on my acoustic has not cracked yet. But now you have me scared!!!

Edited by Stolysmaster

I would not worry. It's the dry that cracks it. As long as it was built in a dry environment and the guitar has survived the normal Denver weather you should be fine.

Yeah I have been thinking what happened to the weather these past few weeks. Its like the Northeast???? The humidity in my shop went up 15%, I had to stop working in my guitars until the humidity is back to normal.

I would not worry. It's the dry that cracks it. As long as it was built in a dry environment and the guitar has survived the normal Denver weather you should be fine.

Yeah I have been thinking what happened to the weather these past few weeks. Its like the Northeast???? The humidity in my shop went up 15%, I had to stop working in my guitars until the humidity is back to normal.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. We're spoiled here in Colorado. I grew up in Northeast Ohio (near lake Erie) where the humidity will frequently hit the upper 90's, and often %99, in the summer. I'm feeling ill thinking about it. :D

If it ever got like that in Colorado, that'd be something to worry about.

Edited by NotYou

It's a Texas Mossman, built in Dallas (fairly humid) in 1985. I moved here in 1987, 1 1/2 years later. But it has been fine this long though, so...

Yeah, about the recent moisture here, my grass is loving it!

It's a Texas Mossman, built in Dallas (fairly humid) in 1985. I moved here in 1987, 1 1/2 years later. But it has been fine this long though, so...

As working man says a humidifier may be a good idea if the guitar is worth anything.

just more to cut, ugh

just more to cut, ugh

Yeah, the more time I spend with a mower in my hands, the leass time with a guitar in my hands!