G'day, In Need Od Advice

g'day!

i'm kully from perth WA.

to the point i am curently building a my first guitar (not first instrument already built a bass) out of jarrah and sheoak, why? because i have a lucas mill and they are trees at my front door. i'm building it as a neck through with a 25 inch scale (rosewood fretboard), electronics i still don't know what i am gona do yet but i have bought a lr baggs t-bridge for it and a after market roller nut from hong kong.

the tail piece of this guitar i am curently making my self and can not decide to go all out and make tremol or leave it, also i have been throwing around ideas in my head about inlays such as gemstone fret markers(eg. ruby or peridot) and also 1966 50 cent piece( the one before it changed shape to what it curently is).

anyways just looking for some avdice before a jump head first and and do something stupid

• 2 weeks later...

I can give all the od advice you want :D

Welcome to the boards dude. I wouldn't say that you're biting off more than you can chew with the tremolo, like zyonsdream says, you can make anything if you've got the skill. One day (probably when I'm retired) I want to have a bash at making everything on the guitar.... right down to chopping my own tree down, so if you've got the tools and the time, give it a go you've got nothing to lose but a few fingers B)

Enjoy the boards and have a look in the tutorial section on the main site, there's loads of info on loads of stuff.

Kaj :D

give it a go you've got nothing to lose but a few fingers :D

Haha i like it!

Some advice for ya kully. Jarrah and sheoak are heavy so make sure you hollow that puppy out. Here is a link to a guitar i built out of jarrah. Link It shows some good internal shots of how much i hollowed out. It weighs about 3.9kg finished, not heavy but not light either. Sounds great and is really good for rock and roll, i use it in our cover band for lots of KOL, foo fighters etc. Jarrah is a beautiful timber only native to the southwest of australia. Check out what wiki has to say. Link Check the second last line before "see also". Brady make world class snare drums out of the stuff so it must have some good tap tone :D You probably know alot more than me though. Hope this helps mate.

Chad.

Edited by chops1983
I can give all the od advice you want :D

yeah sorry that was a typo meant to say "of"

and chops oh i know jarrah is heavey most of my house is built from it. and i work part time in a timber mill next to mundijong shiftting it.

i have already hollowed the sucker out and glued the neck through and without cutting the shape out yet she is already lighter than my bass that i made with a warmoth bolt on neck out of the same piece of jarrah

(i will post a picture as soon as i figuar out how to)

p.s. about losing fingers i am very consious about that my ad made his two middle fingers on one hand the same length thicknesser when i was very young

p.s. about losing fingers i am very consious about that my ad made his two middle fingers on one hand the same length thicknesser when i was very young

My technology teacher at school was hammering home the point of how careful you had to be with a bandsaw and how you had to pay attention at all times. Sadly the pillock was look at us while saying it and managed to cut his lengthways to past the knuckle. Someone should tell Alanis Morisett that THIS is ironic.

Have fun on the boards and mind your fingers :D

ouch!!!! :D don't supose you have a pic of that?

it is very easy to do stupid things to one self with power tools a mate of mine was subing a wood shop class and teaching kids how to use a jigsaw got his hair stuck in whre the motor and the blade meet goes to show how distracting having others in ur work space is.

so watch the fingers, tie your hair up, use safty glasses and ear protection and DO NOT use gloves when using machines you will lose a hand!

• 2 weeks later...