Rgish & Fun With Veneer

Many thanks for that Andy, how are you finding the 2k clear in a can for build up ? ie how many coats are you averaging per guitar to get a good flat glossy finish. I found that I'm using about 6-8 coats leaving it a good week and then flatting off and I'm getting good results, then again I'm using a spray gun compressor set up. Just curious as to spray can versus spray gun method :D

Many thanks for that Andy, how are you finding the 2k clear in a can for build up ? ie how many coats are you averaging per guitar to get a good flat glossy finish. I found that I'm using about 6-8 coats leaving it a good week and then flatting off and I'm getting good results, then again I'm using a spray gun compressor set up. Just curious as to spray can versus spray gun method :D

I'm loving the 2k in a can the last 2 swirls finishes were just one can each, & this top was 3/4 of a can, same as you - about 6-8 coats, 5 mins between coats to flash off + being only the top, could lay it down & get some wet coats on without have to worry that it was hung up. Dry in an hour or so, cured in 24hr & ready to polish tomorrow, but might just watch the GP instead

The 2K finish we are talking about is a 2 component urethane/acrylic coating that is chemically cured by a catalyst or activator and does not rely on curing by air/moisture. I believe in the US its called Aeromax or something like that, there are loads on the market some good some bad so you are going to have to rely on posters on this forum posting of their comments and recommendations to see what success they have had good or bad. Generally I have tried them all and for me the 2k stuff is the way to go just great stuff "BUT" the downsides to these are the health issues and get a good respirator for these rated for isocyanates, search this forum as it been covered to death and nearly all the info I was seeking for found it on this great site and from members that have used or are still using the stuff hope this helps :D

What's this 2K finish you're talking about and can it be found in the US that you know of? Looks really nice and you say that a can will do a body. I would like to look into that for future builds.

You're project looks really great btw. Keep up the good work Andy.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/aeromax.html

I've found them here, too bad I'm in Aus :D

thats a good looking clear and dye job, how many coats lacquer did you throw on if you don't mind me asking. Also i got that same tremolo and love how it feels like a fixed bridge. good jorb

cheers, about 3/4 of a spray can, that was about 6-7 coats.

How big is the can you are using?

500ml which google says is 0.9 of a pint- don't know if you Aussies are imperial or metric

The only good spare pickup I had lying around was a 20yr old faded pink paf pro & even I though it didn't look right. So with some inspiration from Bare Knuckle did some modding of a chrome cover

pickup2.jpg