Rgish & Fun With Veneer

Looks nice Andy, it seems like the vacuum bag did its job well. The one and only time I tried a veneer top it was a disaster. Had to rip it all off and start over. I'll give it another go one of these days. -Vinny

Good work. I've just done a similar veneer on my current build. I wish I'd used the same method as you (rather than trying to clamp/caul). I've eneded up a with a few areas that have not stuck as well as I'd have liked.

I would have tried a vacuum storage bag (I've actually got some already) but I was worried about some of the issues that Wood Is Good raised. In particular, I was worried about keeping the veneer in place as the bag started to press on the sides. I see you used tape to keep the two veneers together did you do anything to stop the whole lot sliding or was this just not a danger?

Nice job.

Looks like great work!

I have some questions about the vacuum bags if you dont mind.

Does it chip or break the veneer where it bends it over the ends? (how the veneer is cut oversized around the body)

Do the bag get tight enough relatively easy?

I think i might try this!

To be honest i was too lazy to cut the veneer to perfect size so it was hit and hope, but the fact the top is flat apart from the arm rest I thought I'd give it a go. When it came out of the bag it had nicely curled around the edges with no cracking apart from the split in the horns. I flattened the veneer for a week before using - spray water & glycerine, brown paper drying.

The two pieces were tapes together, but nothing else to keep it moving about.

Had the day off work today so did some more.

Before routing I cut through the veneer with a blade, wacked in the trem inserts, only one slip with the router where the trem block sits.

tremrout.jpg

Routed & roughed out the back shape, 1/4" roundover, massive beer gut contour, aanj, with more contouring for wide stretches & a little thumb contour & a subtle one where it sits on your leg

back.jpg

Some stains arrived from Axminster so going have a play with them over the weekend

routedfrontangle.jpg

looks good - what colour swirl is it getting :D

ha, thanks wez - it's tempting, but I've got another finished jem body waiting for that. I'm favouring a bengal, but you never know, when I play around with the dyes, it might end up pink. :D

WOW that top looks GREAT! i love it! what options did you use? black stain sandback and used like an amber yellow? or what? cause i want to make a guitar with that color one day :D

great work!

thanks, I got this sample pack of coloured stains from axeminster in the uk only 10 quid or so, did a little rainbow test piece of all the colours lined up & blending into eachother. It was like oh thats nice & I like that, but decided I wanted something different than the usual. Then it was just trying to follow whatever I stain tutorials I'd read, so black then sand back, then covered the whole thing with the bright yellow, then something called jacobean oak applied neat around the edges then blended in with a cloth inwards almost tried to rub it in following with the quilt pattern.

stain3.jpg

its got a light clear coat to protect it when I start on the back

Hey Andy that is a nice piece of quilt veneer been looking for some myself, whereabouts in the UK did you get that from ?? great build bro and love the colour as well, I tend to use Axminster myself quite a bit and their service is fantastic look forward to seeing that guitar in all its glory :D

Well,

I bought a bag right after i asked you about this... It diddnt work. I used a shop vac to draw the air out, but it still diddnt compress nearly as tight as I needed it to. There were lumps and unglued spots everywhere. I dont know how you did it, but Kudos for getting it done with that.

sorry to hear that, how thick was the veneer & was it going on a flat top? I was quite surprised when it worked being a 1st attempt. I tested the body in the bag, sucked the air out, left it a day & you couldn't pull the bag off the body, so figured it was good to try.

Hey Andy that is a nice piece of quilt veneer been looking for some myself, whereabouts in the UK did you get that from ?? great build bro and love the colour as well, I tend to use Axminster myself quite a bit and their service is fantastic look forward to seeing that guitar in all its glory :D

I just had to look at paypal because I forgot to save a bookmark - it was from http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk

Axminster - first time I ever used them was the start of this build, couldn't believe what great service - ordered some sanding drums, router bits & the dye. Everything turned up the next day, apart from the dye & I'd forgotten where I ordered it from :D anyway get a call from them next day saying had I received it yet, as ups had tried to deliver & left a card (card tucked in with the rest of the junk mail, so missed it) stuff delivered next day. They included a catalogue which made me drool at all the shop tools...I would like a band saw, drill press, jointer, spindle sander, belt sander, router table...oh well back to the hand tools