Texas Tele Update. 06-20-09

Big update. Lots of progress. LOTS of new pics!!! Some of my tags aren't working quite right, you may have to scroll a bit on the pages.

The binding and carved top are scraped and leveled:

Binding Completed

The neck is rough carved:

Rough Carved Neck

Then the final carve to the finished profile, fretboard trued:

Final Carved Neck

Frets installed:

Frets

Control reccesses are cut, controls test fitted:

Controls

The string and ferrule holes are drilled:

String Holes

Peace,

Mark

Edited by guitarnut

Looking good Mark. I'm always interested in teles, especially any new approaches a builder takes. I think yours will be a really beautiful version when you're done.

I used something similar to your router shelf/jig when cutting the binding channel in my LP a while back but it didn't work as smoothly as I had wished. If I ever do another guitar with binding I'll have to refine it or figure out a new way. Live and learn right?

Nice presentation on your website too. Very detailed and clear build story you've got going there. Good luck the rest of the way.

Looking good Mark. I'm always interested in teles, especially any new approaches a builder takes. I think yours will be a really beautiful version when you're done.

I used something similar to your router shelf/jig when cutting the binding channel in my LP a while back but it didn't work as smoothly as I had wished. If I ever do another guitar with binding I'll have to refine it or figure out a new way. Live and learn right?

Nice presentation on your website too. Very detailed and clear build story you've got going there. Good luck the rest of the way.

Hi. Thanks for the kind comments. I feel better about it now than I did several weeks ago...getting the carve done was a big turning point.

My rig worked very well. I didn't have any issues with chatter but I didn't use it for the binding channel...just routing away wood to help with the carving process.

My web programming skills are just enough to put a page together. As my confidence grows in the shop, I have to remind myself to stop and take pictures so I can complete the site. I'm really looking forward to the day I can post a video of the actual guitar next to the rendered 3D model.

Peace,

Mark

• 8 months later...
April GOTM i rekon. Thats one seriously sweet tele :D

Thanks! I may enter it. I had a Tele in last month...even though that's all I've built so far, don't want to get pigeon-holed into be the "Tele Guy". I'll think about it.

That is something else. You've done a wonderful job with it and it was very well documented as well.

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

Thanks much! I hope to have some sound clips up soon...this week for sure.

Peace,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, always a bride's maid never the bride. Two months in a row coming in second in the GOTM. I guess I need to step up my game.

Seriously, I just wanted to thank eveyone who voted for the Texas Tele. Much appreciated!

Peace,

Mark

Sorry for the above post...the computer was still logged in as my wife from when she voted.