Westone Dynasty

• 2 weeks later...

It still needs the speed knobs and the switch tip. I can't find my black screws, so the back plates are on hold for a bit. Other than that, she's all done.

wip18.jpg

wip19.jpg

wip20.jpg

wip21.jpg

I gave up on the other Ibanez pups and just got a new set. I'll still be aboe to use the other two HBs in something else, but the middle s/c was totally dead. Instead of trying to make something match, I thought it better to just get another matched set. RG550 pups for under $50 shipped - not bad at all.

As expected, the maple body/maple neck has a LOT of snap and brightness. I'm finding that this is the first ax that I've actually wanted to peel the tone knob back a touch.

The s/c in the middle is hot enough to match the HBs, but I seriously doubt I'll ever play with just it. What I LOVE is the way it accents the sounds of the HBs. with one of each, you have the full HB power, but added color of the s/c twang. Had I to do it over again, I'd have just used a 3-way toggle for the HBs and a p/p pot to toggle the s/c. I'm likely to go that route in the future because I just LOVE the sound combo.

I looked at the pics I have of the original Dynasty - and there aren't many available on the web - for the strap button placement. I was hoping Westone had done their experimenting with where it balances best. Apparently they had because it stays at whatever angle I put it at. Overall, this oddball is EXTREMELY comfortable to play. The pointy bit pokes me in the belly just a bit, but then again my belly is poking out a bit to meet it, so I guess it evens out. The long tail of the V is more comfortable than I realized it would be. I see more Vs in my future.

The crackle was a royal PIA, and I ain't NEVER doing THAT again. It looks great, but it just didn't want to work. At best, the only way I'd ever use it again is for accents on some hard-edged bevels, just to outline the main body.

I went with direct-mounts so that less of the paint job would be covered up. It may not be a great amount, but there's not much face to the body either.

Yea, the Westone neck had the locks on it already. I seriously doubt I'll ever lock it down. The Strat-style bridge is there to stay.

I actually do not know if i like the design or if i don't,

that's always a good sign.

Cool creative new turn on the old v-shape. :D

I like the paintjob a lot actually, not to much like "in your face" but still very exciting.

Go back to the beginning of the thread. It's not my design.