lit fret board

oh my GOD! i just bought 3000 blues for 10 bucks on ebay. they are like 1 cent in japan. so suppliers in america that get a deal on them from japan sell them uber cheap on ebay. check them out. i also have 5000 green. 1.50 EACH that is REDICULOUS MAN! cold cathodes also are a great light source plus they are thing. it would be perfect to put int the russ rod channel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's cool dave, thanks for the link, although it looks like a school text book *cold shiver*.... so the only thing missing from my diagram is a resistor? (and of course the proper power source) ?

on a side note i was actually thinking about taking electronics technician at a colledge next sept.... what's it like anyways?

I'm not sure. I did the four year deal for the EE degree. I think the two year will actually be a bit more useful in terms of learning things other than theory. There was a ton of math (calculus I, II, III, IV, ...). I didn't mind it but some people hate math. If you like electronics and don't mind math then I would say do it. Nowadays web development and database software are the biggest employment opportunities though. I guess it depends if you are a do it because you enjoy it kinda guy or do it because you want the $$$ kinda guy. Some people are lucky and enjoy what they do and have it pay well also.

I think the diagram would need to show the resistor and power source - yes. If it were similar to my circuit, there would be a resistor in series with each LED. It's not mandatory that you do that - just one way. The value of the resistor depends on how much current (which affects the brightness) you want flowing through the LEDs. Each color LED usually has a slightly different max current and voltage spec. They are usually in the range of 3 - 5V and 10 - 30 mA. So if you have 12 LED's, at 10mA each - that's 120mA through the system. For a 9V which has a typical mAH of 500, you can see how short of a life your battery will have. There are some real nice Lithium batteries out there with much higher maH ratings. Of course, they cost more. I use 4 AA batteries (~1000 to 2000mA each) which is why I was asking about an AA battery box a while ago.

There's more to it than it appears for a beginner. Once the theory has been understood - it's onto the implementation. That's another learning experience.

By the way, I don't think it's a coincidence that SIMS doesn't show any of their installation pics or talk about the power supply or circuits they use. For $600 a fretboard, they want to keep this stuff secret. They don't want people installing them in new boards themselves.

i can't do something i hate...screw the money...... i get mega cranky after a couple of weeks... then just stop going to it (work or school course) although i like playing with wires, i did the phone system in our house, not the most complicated thing in the world of electronics but ya,

dave..... i've seen (9V shaped) battery clips that hold 4 AAA(those are the smaller ones right?) batteries i think, and they're meant to fit into a compartment meant for a 9v, i duno maybe that would be something to look at, they might make something similar for 2 AA's then just use 2 of those, in the 9v battery boxes for guitars???

i know i have one of those thingy's around here i'll take a pic if i'm not making sense...

oh my GOD! i just bought 3000 blues for 10 bucks on ebay

What type? What packaging - the T1 type? Are you talking about surface mount? Something doesn't sound right. I checked mouser and digikey - very similar pricing. Also similar to the other place I got mine (lunaraccents - I think? - I dunno). 3000 for $10 would be a bargain but I wonder if we are talking about the same product? Do you have pics? - or specs on them - what mcd rating?

I think you need to spend some time with a breadboard and some components before making any plans.

:D No kidding daveq, whoa... all plans are stopped for now. thanks everyone, almost jumped into a big mess. a little education on LED's and then maybe I'll start again. :D:DB)